• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 matches

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oddly, they didn't show a replay of the tackle which led to the penalty in the post game show here, but it did seem one at first glance.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Harsh on Mexico, but Holland just about deserved that I reckon - and it was a definite penalty IMO.

There seems to be a very un-Dutch team spirit about this Holland side.

This World Cup just gets better.

OverratedSanity

Twitter and Facebook have started exploding with the usual Oscar worthy performance from the Dutch rubbish . And **** you Robbie Fowler... If there's contact, it's a penalty, I don't see how him making a meal of it means it should excuse legitimate contact from the defender.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just one of those situations where people have trouble recognising that there can be both contact and exaggeration/diving/whatever. Robben absolutely made it look worse than it was, I mean he was clipped and threw himself forward with both feet in the air etc, but it was still a penalty and he could have had a couple of others as well. That actually is something that happens regularly in every sport, people exaggerating contact that was legitimately present, not a big deal at all.

flibbertyjibber

Is good for the tournament as well, is already the weaker side of the draw.
Would expect them to win their quarter final. Praying the game tonight isn't a Greece win as the quarter could be a very drab affair with them defending for penalties if they got through.

flibbertyjibber

Haha, seems like bloody ages ago to me. Him moving to Chelsea occurred at pretty much the same time Arsenal stopped being really good, and that was many many moons ago now. Makes me feel old thinking about it.
Think how some of us feel when you were a teenager when Lee Chapman won a title with Leeds.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just one of those situations where people have trouble recognising that there can be both contact and exaggeration/diving/whatever. Robben absolutely made it look worse than it was, I mean he was clipped and threw himself forward with both feet in the air etc, but it was still a penalty and he could have had a couple of others as well. That actually is something that happens regularly in every sport, people exaggerating contact that was legitimately present, not a big deal at all.
Even if it wasn't Robben with his reputation, could hardly blame him for exaggerating anyway having been given nothing all game

flibbertyjibber

Even if it wasn't Robben with his reputation, could hardly blame him for exaggerating anyway having been given nothing all game
Could easily have gone over when he burst into box and Ochoa made that save. Was probably as much contact in that one as the penalty.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The WC is the WC but I have a flight to catch for which I have to wake up at 5 am and the thought of Greece v. Costa Rica doesn't really fill me with boundless enthusiasm tbh. I'm a sucker for this so will probably still stay up though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well this World Cup keeps on surprising us, but it's hard to think that the next match won't be hideously dull, Greece are Greece, and Costa Rica counter-attack. Not sure there will be much to counter too.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I realise most here think it was a pen but I think the pen situation was the one Robben milked the least of his three shouts. The first half one might have been clearer but he was already falling from a brush on the hip.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nowhere near the frequency and the hilarity that it does on soccer.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This whole World Cup is in such a perfect time zone for those of us on the east coast. I can watch pretty much every game. In surprised how much I'm getting into it.