• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good would a Yugolsavia squad be?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How far do we reckon this squad could go?

Goalkeepers:

Asmir Begovic (Bosnia)
Samir Handanovic (Slovenia)
Stipe Pletikosa (Croatia)

Defenders:

Branislav Ivanovic (Serbia)
Neven Subotic (Serbia)
Darijo Srna (Croatia)
Dejan Lovren (Croatia)
Alexsandr Kolarov (Serbia)
Matija Nastasic (Serbia)
Vedran Corluka (Croatia)

Midfielders:

Ivan Rakitic (Croatia)
Luka Modric (Croatia)
Mateo Kovacic (Croatia)
Miralem Pjanic (Bosnia)
Adem Ljajic (Serbia)
Nemanja Matic (Serbia)
Zvjezdan Misimovic (Bosnia)

Forwards

Eden Dzeko (Bosnia)
Vedad Ibisevic (Bosnia)
Mario Mandzukic (Croatia)
Stefan Jovetic (Montenegro)
Goran Pandev (Macedonia)
Mirko Vucinic (Montenegro)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
From a footballing perspective it's such a shame the country blew up when it did; they'd have had a phenominal team throughout the 90s.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fall of communism bad for football in general.

Would be way better if the Soviet Union were going to kick of rather than Russia in a couple of days time.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Was thinking about this the other day too. There's at least three countries there that would be highly competitive at this world cup.

They'd have a comparable squad to France, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium etc for sure.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Czechoslovakia made a couple of finals back in the day before the Czechs and the Slovaks received their Decree Absolute.

Beat Jerry on pens in the 76 Euro Championship final too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What about a Britain team them?

Add Bale and Ramsay to the current England squad and that about it.
Haha I was thinking the same but, and don't get me wrong I'd take those two in a heartbeat, I don't think it would make much difference given where our woes lie.

Turn of the century when we had left-sided issues, Giggs would have been perfect

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That being said, we could have had Bale in Rooney's place on Sat. Baines would have been far better protected.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oddly enough, Yugoslavia never did that much in the majors when they were one side. IIRC reaching the final of the 1968 Euros was the height of it. Always very solid, and plenty of quality, but you never fancied them to win anything, Maybe it was too hard to bring together a combination of Serbs, Croats and whatevever, given the appalling events that followed the fall of communism.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oddly enough, Yugoslavia never did that much in the majors when they were one side. IIRC reaching the final of the 1968 Euros was the height of it. Always very solid, and plenty of quality, but you never fancied them to win anything, Maybe it was too hard to bring together a combination of Serbs, Croats and whatevever, given the appalling events that followed the fall of communism.
They would have pissed in the 1992 Euros if they'd stayed together.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha I was thinking the same but, and don't get me wrong I'd take those two in a heartbeat, I don't think it would make much difference given where our woes lie.

Turn of the century when we had left-sided issues, Giggs would have been perfect
I think it would make a huge difference. They're probably both better than all of your players.

Lots of World Cup winning teams have prank full-backs and backup CBs, you can cover it up quite well with players like Bale and Ramsey that score loads of brilliant goals.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Bale is miles better than any England player. 4-3-3 with Gerrard, Ramsey and Henderson and then Bale, Sturridge and Sterling looks pretty damn good. But you know in football terms you may as well talk about combining England and France, always been separate (Olympics don't count.)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not disputing they'd improve the side btw, but still think our defence would cost us in the end

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nobody really has a top quality defence though. If you've got loads of talent going forward then in this current era I think that outweighs carrying a couple of crap defenders.

Uppercut

Is their defence even that bad? They didn't concede many in qualifying IIRC.

Argentina's defence is infinitely worse and the consensus still seems to be that they have a decent shot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Argentina's defence is infinitely worse and the consensus still seems to be that they have a decent shot.
They have Messi though. Which I guess lends itself to the Bale theory.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Cahill's defending for the 2nd goal was absolute village. And Cahill's easily, at worst, the 2nd best English centre half in the game just now.

Argentina are the South American England btw. They're fancied because they've got some sick options up front and are playing in near enough home conditions. Their midfield is terrible and their coach clearly has some tactical issues with the nonsense lineup he sent out against Bosnia.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Cahill's defending for the 2nd goal was absolute village. And Cahill's easily, at worst, the 2nd best English centre half in the game just now.
I don't agree at all because I think it was just good movement and an incredible cross, but even if it was, he's still a decent player coming off an excellent season.

Netherlands are another team with a frontline to compensate for not having a defence.