Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Add any two players from history to your current WC squad

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    That was basically my point

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing. I just thought that to say not many people remember the 90s side fondly was arguably a bit of an understatement, if anything.

Italia 90 is a funny one, it's remembered really fondly in this country despite the fact that the tournament was so ****ing **** that FIFA had to bring in some pretty major rule changes to counter how crap the game had become.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah I don't think a lot of people actually remember England's Italia 90 side fondly,. They reminisce over key moments, the performance against Germany, Gazza etc. But the raw facts tell you we won one game inside the 90 and were pretty dull.

We weren't immense throughout Euro 96 but were so exciting when were good (Holland game, parts of the semi) that it will always be looked back on fondly (except by Brumby IIRC)
    Pretty sure you've made that up, tbh.

We looked good in parts, but average at other times. It's a little glossed over now that we drew 1-1 with the Swiss first up (and were hanging on in the closing stages too) and were thoroughly outplayed by Spain in the quarters before our one successful penalty shoot out. If memory serves Nadal's uncle had a legitimate goal disallowed as well.

I think the Dutch performance is slightly overplayed inasmuch as it wasn't a vital elimination game as such. When it looked as if goal diff might do for Holland, they stepped it up to make it 4-1 and give Scotland the arse instead.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Pretty sure you've made that up, tbh.

We looked good in parts, but average at other times. It's a little glossed over now that we drew 1-1 with the Swiss first up (and were hanging on in the closing stages too) and were thoroughly outplayed by Spain in the quarters before our one successful penalty shoot out. If memory serves Nadal's uncle had a legitimate goal disallowed as well.

I think the Dutch performance is slightly overplayed inasmuch as it wasn't a vital elimination game as such. When it looked as if goal diff might do for Holland, they stepped it up to make it 4-1 and give Scotland the arse instead.
    Haha nah what you've said is pretty much what I remember you saying before, that and the fact you hate Venables

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Weren't the Italia 90 side massively lambasted for most of the tournament? The criticism being directed at the side, and Robson, was absolutely huge until they managed to make it through to the later stages.
    My memory of Italia 1990 was they were lambasted after the draw with Ireland, but that was all. The 0-0 with Holland was favourably received, partly because they played pretty well, and partly because Holland had been a great side two years earlier. The win against Egypt wasn't criticised much because it took us through, and our luck against Belgium and Cameroon was largely overlooked because we won.

I think the most vitriolilc criticism of Robson was after the 1988 euros, where we had been absolutely dreadful, and we didn't much look better immediately afterwards.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 24-06-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    As I was less than 3 years old at the time I have no first hand recollections of this whatsoever, but I've seen numerous documentaries which suggest the public dissatisfaction with Robson and England lasted into the knockout rounds.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Just to ask another question similar to the opening thread, which 2 players from the current world cup, do you wish your country had?

I guess its easy to chose the best players in your group if like me you support a country knocked out in the first round as it would weaken your opposition. From this tournament, I would have loved us to have Teja Robben and Guillermo Ochoa as I don't think we'd have lost either of the first 2 games with those players in our squad (if they performed For Australia how they performed for Netherlands and Mexico). That Messi bloke would go okay too..
    Last edited by NUFAN; 28-06-2014 at 10:22 PM.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quite fond of Zidane and Maldini. Both quite good at singlehandedly carrying sides and shifting up gears in internationals. Think they'd look good in vomit gold.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Just to ask another question similar to the opening thread, which 2 players from the current world cup, do you wish your country had?

I guess its easy to chose the best players in your group if like me you support a country knocked out in the first round as it would weaken your opposition. From this tournament, I would have loved us to have Teja Robben and Guillermo Ochoa as I don't think we'd have lost either of the first 2 games with those players in our squad (if they performed For Australia how they performed for Netherlands and Mexico). That Messi bloke would go okay too..
    I'd probably have to say Tommy Muller and James Rodriguez, although a competent centre half (Thiago Silva has been impressive as the straight man in the slapstick troupe that is the host nation's defence) and a decent fullback (Daley Blind has caught the eye) might be nice too.

Messi and Ronaldo

Literally anyone.

Except Fred.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information