• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adrian Chiles brings you the coverage complaints thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used to really like Martin Tyler, but find him a bit grating these days. He's sort of become a pastiche of himself. Would still rate him as the best of the most prominent TV commentators though. Alan Parry and Rob Hawthorne are good as well.
Love Tyler, he's so much better than any of the Australian lot we get it's not funny. It's a shame SBS seem to think we'd rather hear David Basheer & Craig ****ing Foster crap on during Australian games instead.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pearce and Lawrenson belittling the Mexico keeper's saves because some of them were made with his chest was so dire.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pearce reading out tweets in the middle of the game was pathetic. Is he after a job on Good Morning Britain or something?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pearce and Lawrenson belittling the Mexico keeper's saves because some of them were made with his chest was so dire.
My god they were awful last night. I reckon Lawrenson is worse than Townsend now. I remember at one stage Pearce told a story then said "we've had everything this World Cup", and Lawrenson replied "now we just need something to happen on the pitch". Best World Cup in years and he's still putting on his "everything is ****" act.

Friedel on the radio was alright. Alan Green was unbearable for the first 20 minutes but uncharacteristically stopped moaning in the second half, so that was much better.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I started with the Radio 5 commentary option, but you can't have that and receive the broadcast in HD. After Green got on my nerves I opted for the better picture/worse commentary option, and ended up regretting it. Like you say, the pair of them were absolutely ghastly last night. Their moans about the keeper are still really bugging me tbh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Balls TV have the tournament in the phillipines. Good because I have that channel in my room so will save my liver a lot of damage but bad because David Pleat was commentating on the last game I watched on that channel (CL final) and I promptly fell asleep

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's not remarkable or anything, but I quite like Andros Townsend as a pundit. Not annoying, not self-evidently dire or offensive, says reasonably sensible things, has a bit of earnest charm. The complete opposite of Alan Shearer in other words.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Had the displeasure of listening to the Dutch game on Radio 5 whilst crawling along the M6 on the way home from work. Robbie Savage deary me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My god they were awful last night. I reckon Lawrenson is worse than Townsend now. I remember at one stage Pearce told a story then said "we've had everything this World Cup", and Lawrenson replied "now we just need something to happen on the pitch". Best World Cup in years and he's still putting on his "everything is ****" act.

Friedel on the radio was alright. Alan Green was unbearable for the first 20 minutes but uncharacteristically stopped moaning in the second half, so that was much better.
Lawrenson's the worst of the worst.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't believe the hypocrisy of Danny Murphy. He was absolutely spitting nails about Muller "cheating" the other day. But this evening when Torres was running through on goal, only to be taken out by that Chilean defender, he said "really good foul that, top foul, definitely worth taking a yellow for that one". So it seems breaking the rules is fine if you do so in a way that Danny Murphy approves of.

What a **** ****.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah most people seem to be fine with cynical defending, but cynical attacking is the worst thing in history. I know Uppercut has mentioned this before.

Think it goes back to the soft argument,

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, it's grim, and undoubtedly goes back to the whole "soft" bull****.

But, as a standalone issue, the fact that a commentator made a statement whereby they explicitly encouraged people to play the game in a dishonest way is something I consider to be absolutely disgraceful.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah most people seem to be fine with cynical defending, but cynical attacking is the worst thing in history. I know Uppercut has mentioned this before.

Think it goes back to the soft argument,
Funnily enough 'soft' fouls where an attacker fouls a defender don't attract the same vitriol as attackers who win 'soft' fouls.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The difference with the type of foul described by Murphy is you generally don't expect to get away with it. You take the booking for the team. Different to feigning Injury to try and have an opponent sent off, which is clearly deceptive.

The only point I really agree with you guys on is the soft fouls. They are more akin to a dive because it's the niggly deceptive type. I also hate fouls that get given outside the box but not inside.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, it's grim, and undoubtedly goes back to the whole "soft" bull****.

But, as a standalone issue, the fact that a commentator made a statement whereby they explicitly encouraged people to play the game in a dishonest way is something I consider to be absolutely disgraceful.
No, it's because the feigned injury theatrics look outright ridiculous to watch