• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup V Olympics

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This is why I reckon T20 will get an Olympics gig soon; the Indian market. Their football team needs to improve 1000% to trouble the WC finals and their other Olympians are, frankly, a poor crop (especially since their hockey went to shyte).

Some form of cricket will bring in 100s of million $ in ad revenue for the Olympics.

BeeGee

International Captain
WC by a country mile.

Team sports shouldn't even be in the Olympics, imo. Olympics should be about individual tests of strength, speed and endurance.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is why I reckon T20 will get an Olympics gig soon; the Indian market. Their football team needs to improve 1000% to trouble the WC finals and their other Olympians are, frankly, a poor crop (especially since their hockey went to shyte).

Some form of cricket will bring in 100s of million $ in ad revenue for the Olympics.
Artificial turf over real grass ended the dynasty

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah true good point, though in my head I guess I just meant mass media (i.e. TV, radio, newspapers, online etc.).

Still reckon World Cup may pip it.
Not much difference really. The US Olympic deal swings it though and it is just going to get bigger with the new deal.

TV Revenue

2010 WC - 2.4 billion USD
2012 Olympics - 2.6 billion USD

2014 WC revenues projected to be below that of 2010. 2012 Olympic broadcast revenue 900 million above 2008 in China. Appears Euro/African time best suited to maximise revenue.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
World Cup is miles and miles better. I believe this too strongly to even pretend to make an objective judgement.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Olympics easily but that's because I'm from a country where soccer isn't big. To watch the US game, we went to a bar (granted, it was in a small town..pop:<10,000) but Sportscenter was on when we got there and we had to ask the manager to switch to the US-Ghana game. And that's obviously a game where the US is actually playing. By the end, there were maybe three groups of watching the game, the rest were watching random MLB games. So for me, even though I'm personally probably equally excited about both, it's hard to get into as the shared atmosphere just isn't there (at least where I am).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It looks like it's getting quite a big following in certain towns though. The BBC website was showing pics from public parks in various cities (granted, I expect these were pretty big cities, I didn't actually bother to check which ones) where there were literally thousands of people watching on big screens.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It looks like it's getting quite a big following in certain towns though. The BBC website was showing pics from public parks in various cities (granted, I expect these were pretty big cities, I didn't actually bother to check which ones) where there were literally thousands of people watching on big screens.
It's always been like that - there are big gatherings always because people who like it flock to see it with other people who also like it. Outside of that, it's quite small (at least here). It also dies down to almost nothing between world cups as well (just like the olympics).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
With that said, the US-Ghana game did get really good ratings, so maybe the popularity is starting to go up for the WC at least.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
World Cup for me by far and I'm not even in love with watching football that much these days (playing a different story). I like the Olympics, and watch a lot of it when its on but I can't imagine waking up in the middle of the night to watch it, which I would for the World Cup (not even just for England games),