• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warm-Up Friendlies

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why would you call up Stones to replace an attacking player? I'd probably go for Nathan Redmond instead. Or maybe even Aaron Lennon. Urgh.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would you call up Stones to replace an attacking player? I'd probably go for Nathan Redmond instead. Or maybe even Aaron Lennon. Urgh.
Because defensively if the first choice players get injured we are ****ed. Stones is miles better than Smalling and Jones anyway.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
That doesn't really make any sense from a management point of view. They picked Smalling and Jones so they obviously think they're better options.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes, ind33d. I'm not sure what logic there is in calling up further defensive cover in response to an attacker getting injured. Would speak volumes about what you think of your current defensive cover (which I agree, is terrible, but like Cabinet says, England management clearly rates them enough to take them as first choice backup).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Poor kid. He's had such a rough trot with injuries and, in all honesty, his recovery time hasn't been great for any of the many he's had.

Whilst I think Stones should've been in the squad (the boy really does look very composed and might actually just be the ball-playing centre-half Rio could've been had he not been such a dozy get) I truthfully don't see it happening (although the **** in me is hoping for a Smalling niggle to rectify the error) & the squad needs more pace. Lennon, maybes? At least has gas.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ox missing is quite a blow imo, for both him and England. Not many players in the squad have his athleticism, dynamism (not wishing to use an Ikki-like meaningless phrase, ahem) and versatility. Could have seen him featuring quite heavily, particularly off the bench.

Hope England don't do the typical England World Cup thing and rush him back and let him play when he's in a terrible condition and just make everything worse. If there's any doubt about his fitness, and there's obviously a huge doubt at this stage, he's got to be sent home imo. Again, this would be in the interests of both parties.

flibbertyjibber

Hasn't the replacement got to come from the standby list?

Cleverley and Carrick were the midfielders. Flanagan, Stones, Ruddy, Defoe and Carroll the rest.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Smalling and Jones get a rough deal on here tbh. Both of them have been fine over the past season (when used correctly in Smalling's case) and I don't really know why they cop so much flak. Very few of our defensive frailties last season were as a result of these two, in fact they were probably our best two defenders (not saying much admittedly, but they were both pretty good IMO last season). With that being said, Stones was impressive and I wouldn't have been bothered if he went in place of Smalling. However I'd have leaned towards Smalling as Stones only has half a season's work on his CV.

As for Ox replacements, tbh no-one stands out. As Brumby said, Lennon is probably the most obvious name but then he has been toss for ages. I think we are all agreed though that it definitely shouldn't be Cleverley.

When is the deadline for making a replacement btw?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hasn't the replacement got to come from the standby list?

Cleverley and Carrick were the midfielders. Flanagan, Stones, Ruddy, Defoe and Carroll the rest.
Haha if that's the case then England are ****ed. Neither Cleverley nor Carrick should be near the side but there we go. Probably go for Carrick from the two of them but I don't see any good option. Cleverley I suppose is the nearer to being a like-for-like replacement as he can also play on the wing, sort of. But I don't think even that could justify picking him.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Carrick, while past his best, is logical as Gerrard's backup. Obviously not an Ox fill in but as much as I rate him I reckon we've got players who can do his job. Gerrard, not at all

Uppercut

Yeah I reckon Carrick is the pick of that list. You have Milner, Welbeck, Lallana, Sterling, Sturridge, even Rooney or Barkley could probably play better than Lennon on the wing. There's no real need to find a direct replacement for Ox.

Actually I wouldn't have a problem with Flanagan either.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very much doubt whoever will get called up will play at any stage so it hardly matters.

Ox would have played a part for sure though so it it just **** news really.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Means Sterling should join Cahill and Jagielka in their cotton wool and eiderdown stuffed bubble wrap too. Without Ox & Feo he's pretty much irreplaceable now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's quick enough when he hits his stride, but doesn't have the kind of immediate speed that really scares defenders when he runs at them.

I'd actually say Cahill has a decent gallop when he's going too, but Sterling looks to have the sort of "wingers" pace that comes from nowhere to fast in a blink.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Was a weird game. Didn't seem to wake up until Armenia's penalty.

Podoslki might have just played himself into the World Cup team. Makes you wonder why he stands there scratching his ass for Arsenal most weeks.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Had a couple of nice bets which just required Japan to beat Zambia at the end to pay off. Of course they're getting **** on randomly.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I reckon Carrick is the pick of that list. You have Milner, Welbeck, Lallana, Sterling, Sturridge, even Rooney or Barkley could probably play better than Lennon on the wing. There's no real need to find a direct replacement for Ox.

Actually I wouldn't have a problem with Flanagan either.
If Football was a game where you scored a goal/point for going/attempting to go around your opponent, getting into the box and then doing nothing with it, Lennon would be a star. I'm not sure who I'd pick as the replacement though.