• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warm-Up Friendlies

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sky reckon England are starting Welbeck instead of Sterling vs. Peru tonight.

I'd be worried if the rest of the team seems first-choice. When someone picks Welbeck instead of a Liverpool player and I think it's a bad move, you know it's a bad move.

Eds

International Debutant
Yep, all the rest of it is first team. Uh oh.

Hart, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge.

If Sturridge is wide I'll hurt someone.

Uppercut

I don't think he will be. It wouldn't make the team that much worse because Welbeck is miles better up front too. But on principle Sturridge is England's biggest weapon (in more ways than one) so should be having everyone else accommodate him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Me neither. Sounds like a typical England World Cup warm up game though (i.e. one in which England were fairly meh for much of the game, but pee'd it late on, and talk of 1966 was then spouted by the pundits).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
3-0 very flattering. Two goals from corners. Defence got caught out quite a few times (Jagielka in particular looked off the pace) and needed Hart to be aware to save them.

Peru all kinds of shyte/unarsed.

Positives: Hart, Johnson, Sturridge, Sterling when he came on.

Negatives: Rooney (unfit and looking uninterested), Jagielka, Baines & Henderson. The latter completely anonymous in midfield.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was out last night, someone suggested we moved to a pub showing the match, and I said I couldn't be arsed. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
3-0 very flattering. Two goals from corners. Defence got caught out quite a few times (Jagielka in particular looked off the pace) and needed Hart to be aware to save them.

Peru all kinds of shyte/unarsed.

Positives: Hart, Johnson, Sturridge, Sterling when he came on.

Negatives: Rooney (unfit and looking uninterested), Jagielka, Baines & Henderson. The latter completely anonymous in midfield.
Not disagreeing re: Henderson (I didn't see the game), but he did make 100+ passes, almost double the second-highest player.

And dat Sturridge goal.

Sturridge goal - England v Peru 3-0 | Goals & Highlights - YouTube

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not disagreeing re: Henderson (I didn't see the game), but he did make 100+ passes, almost double the second-highest player.
It's the Butch Wilkins/Michael Carrick thang tho; lots of sideways passing to no obvious effect.

Lack of pace a real concern too. Sterling made a real difference when he came on.

Wilshere was hobbling quite soon after coming on as well. Signalled to the bench he was ok at one point, but looked anything but.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We all agree though that Sterling for Wellbeck and that's our best XI? Maybe Ox for Lallana, he's more of a midfielder after all

Eds

International Debutant
Hodgson basically strangling all the creative juices out of Henderson by playing him in a 2 in midfield with Gerrard. It's awful. They have to be a proper 3.

Uppercut

Could play both Henderson and Wilshere with Rooney dropped. Get England on board the 3-man midfield about 20 years too late.