• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predictions

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Going to be boring and go with Brazil or Argentina to win it. Argentina's attack is terrifying. Don't really know much about their defence other than that it's supposed to be their weakness, but with that attack they may be able to City/Liverpool it.

Reckon France could be a dark horse. Know they only scraped through the qualifiers but the players in their strongest XI are really good. Reckon they're good value at longer odds than Belgium, whose squad has predominantly been having shockers in the Premier League for the last year.

About time Messi had that great World Cup and won the Golden Boot with daylight.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Don't really know much about their defence other than that it's supposed to be their weakness, but with that attack they may be able to City/Liverpool it.
Doesn't really happen in international football unless you're playing San Marino. Not enough time to drill patterns for attacking, perhaps.

Germany to bomb out in the quarters and everyone outside Germany to pretend they've done well.

I've got the Islamic Republic of Iran in the office sweepstake, hoping they win a match.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Brazil to win.

England to be England.

Japan to do quite well.

Portugal to go out in the first round.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't really happen in international football unless you're playing San Marino. Not enough time to drill patterns for attacking, perhaps.
Brazil will definitely try.

Argentina have an easy group but Messi hasn't been anywhere near his peak this season. He's still better than pretty much everyone at almost every skill in the game, but he no longer seems to be playing on fast-forward while everyone else is at normal speed.

flibbertyjibber

Brazil to win probably but i'd love to see Belgium have a good run. Can't see England getting through the group stage so anything better is a nice bonus.

Uppercut

I think England are in decent shape to get through their group. Italy and Uruguay have their own problems.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Everyone in the UK to talk up Germany's chances whilst ignoring the fact that they have a total ****ing clown in charge.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When did this Low backlash start? Was it Euros? Because I can remember only plaudits before then.

They have a horrible schedule anyway apparently.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Check how few clean sheets Germany keep. They kept no clean sheets en route to Euro 2012 (IIRC) and lost 7 goals in 2 qualifiers against Sweden this time out for crying out loud. Löw cannot organise a defence to save himself, I could have guided Germany to two semi finals with the pool of talent he's got. He has no idea how to properly set up a team to win games and that'll be Germany's downfall this time out.

Uppercut

That doesn't fit what happened in 2010 at all. Was it 3 goals conceded in 6 games? 4?

In 2012 I think his big mistake was picking Gomez for the semi-final. I don't remember their defence being too bad until that game, and even then it was moreso individuals doing stupid **** than something being wrong with the team.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Their back five isn't exactly weak individually though. Which suggests something else was wrong during qualifying.

Uppercut

I think they're just a very attacking team these days. Push very high up the pitch. The Dortmund template.

I mean, let's not blow the Swedish balls-ups out of proportion. They absolutely demolished that group.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They did, but they have a chronic inability to keep clean sheets. If you can't do that then you'll struggle to win tournaments.

Spain have dominated to the extent that they have because they're supreme at closing out games by keeping the ball from the opposition.

2010 was only 4 goals conceded in 6 games but they conceded in all their knockout games and they went out as soon as they came up against a side that could cope with their counter attacks.

They have plenty of quality individually in their back 5 but Löw is a clown.

Burgey

Belgium are smokies. Reckons they'll get at least to the quarters.

Chile and Australia to progress from the GOD, in that order. Australia will topple Brazil on penalties in the next round, ease through the quarter final playing their second stringers, win their semi against Italy 2-1 in stoppage time with a dodgy penalty call, then cap it off with a 3-0 demolition of some chumps like Argentina in the final. Cahill narrowly pips Mark Milligan and Messi for the Golden Boot.

England out in the round of 16. Steve Gerrard will slip over and concede the winner, then cry and retire.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Belgium are smokies. Reckons they'll get at least to the quarters.

Chile and Australia to progress from the GOD, in that order. Australia will topple Brazil on penalties in the next round, ease through the quarter final playing their second stringers, win their semi against Italy 2-1 in stoppage time with a dodgy penalty call, then cap it off with a 3-0 demolition of some chumps like Argentina in the final. Cahill narrowly pips Mark Milligan and Messi for the Golden Boot.

England out in the round of 16. Steve Gerrard will slip over and concede the winner, then cry and retire.
That'd actually be pretty amazing...