• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Guardian's top 20 players in the world cup

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Guardian may be too anti-English to pick Bobby Moore, but deserves a spot on the top 100 at least.
Nah.

Working class hero and the early death angle plays well.

He'll be there.

Wasn't there a chap who won the first two world cups? For Uruguay in 30 & Italy in 34? Must be a chance.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Zoff, Maldini and Rossi.

Charlton and Moore.

Pele, Ronaldo, Garrincha and Jairzinho

Eusebio.

Beckenbauer, Matthaus and Muller.

Zidane, Fontaine and Desailly.

Maradona.

Cruyff and Bergkamp

Some random bloke from an early world cup who is obvious and I missed them off.

Only said Bergkamp as he isn't on the list and his goal in 98 is one of the greatest ever in the finals.

Seems too many up to date ones really. Be interesting to see who they are though.
Desailly's number 60

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The breakdown in votes reveals why the results look rather questionable in places imo.

I'm not sure what one has to be to qualify as an "Expert" or a "Legend" for the purposes of being eligible to vote in this, but it sounds significant to me that Messi, who imo should not be in this list whatsoever, received only 5 votes from "Experts" and over 250 votes from "Legends".

On the other hand, Lev Yashin, who imo ought to be ranked far higher received over 350 votes from "Experts", but not receive a single vote from anyone who was a "Legend".

Bit questionable for mine, but I suppose lists like this invariably are.

Edit: Link to breakdown of votes - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nPqSvDzxrIs-lAbFl09iz6jSKM/edit#gid=630229852

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I really wish the Guardian would stop trying to create more appeal with these famous legends and experts. Only one of the Guardian's journalists voted for Messi but a couple of legends had him 3rd and 4th respectively. I thought they learnt from when Nesta managed to get Frank Lampard above Javi Martinez and Eden Hazzard in their 100 best players in the world last christmas.

Imagine thinking only two people have bettered Messi's WC exploits. Imagine.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, how is Berti Vogts not in this list at all? My prediction for him to be in the top 20 might have been a bit ambitious, but are there really that many fullbacks who have done better than him at the World Cup? His performance in the 1974 where he kept Cruyff quiet for the whole match is renowned as being something pretty special isn't it?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Miroslav Klose, second highest goal scorer of all time, pretty stiff as well.

The whole list is a shambles tbh, and it comes from the terrible methodology.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbf, most of the players you would expect to see in such a list have been included. It's just annoying that the ordering is iffy in places, that there are notable omissions, and some bizarre inclusions (I mean, how anyone could vote for Thomas Brolin in this is just totally beyond me).