• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

France Squad Discussion

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I suppose Grenier and Griezmann are arguably as good as Nasri, and similarish sorts of players, so I guess you can justify his omission on those grounds. I'd have taken him though.

Clichy being left out is great news unless you're a City fan. Means he's likely to be fully fit and eligible for selection at the beginning of next season.

Also, are there some errors in that squad list on the BBC site? It's saying Stephane Ruffier is a forward, and that he plays for Monaco. Neither of these are correct, as I understand things.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently Nasri's girlfriend going mad on Twitter, that'll help:laugh:

Mind you He's done well for himself.:wacko:

Last edited:

Pothas

Nasri has been really good this season but I can only guess they are not leaving him out for those reasons.

Not a bad squad though, sure unlikely to win but got a feeling they might go further than expected.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the knock is (& Tyler alluded to it in the Citeh/Irons game) that Nasri isn't quite good enough to be as big a **** as he is to justify his place.

The Pietersen of French football, if you will.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Throwing all of their most talented players onto the pitch regardless of how difficult they are as characters has worked out very badly for France this past few tournaments. If anyone can appreciate the need for untalented but unselfish team players to build around the actual quality, it's Deschamps.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Good squad - Deschamps has chosen well. Hopefully they finish ahead of the Swiss and avoid meeting Argentina in round 2.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS

Last edited:

Pothas

Would not assume that it is just between those two. Rather fancy Ecuador to take second of Switzerland.

Uppercut

Switzerland are a bit of a hipster team of choice though, looked good in qualifying. Depends how big an advantage playing in South America is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shows what a load of bollocks the WC seedings were that a team who were in the first pot for a world finals tournament weren't in it for their continental qualifiers.

Uppercut

But in general I like performance in qualifying being given a stronger weighting. Makes it more of a contest and less of a fix.

Pothas

Switzerland are a bit of a hipster team of choice though, looked good in qualifying. Depends how big an advantage playing in South America is.
Oh yeah new Belgium for sure.

I am thinking playing in South America is going to be a big advantage though, Uruguay the only side that I would not be confident about getting out the group and think that will be super tight.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh yeah new Belgium for sure.

I am thinking playing in South America is going to be a big advantage though, Uruguay the only side that I would not be confident about getting out the group and think that will be super tight.
You reckon? Chile hardly have a cakewalk. I know it's not a classic Dutch side and Spain are ageing, but still a marginal call, IMHO.

Pothas

Oh yeah **** forgot about Chile.

Any other group I would expect them to go through easily, this one will be close but still marginal favourites for second.