• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad discussion

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No, it's nothing of the sort.

You've basically just said Flanagan must be crap because he plays for a team that is doing well, which is a facile proposition.
No, he's saying he's average, and isn't great just because his side are doing really well.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well what quantifiable evidence do you want? Watch him play, Flanagan is decent but not exceptional.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No, it's nothing of the sort.

You've basically just said Flanagan must be crap because he plays for a team that is doing well, which is a facile proposition.
Where did i say that ?

I said he is being overrated because he has burst on the scene doing decently in a team on a high. Watching him from his few u21 games and even recently he doesn't strike me as sm1 in the same category or sm1 who would even be a future regular for England frankly.

Same type of overrating has happened for pther team players too, in the past.

He might prove me wrong in the future, but haven't seen it so far. He is a decent player but not in the same class.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Something more substantial than "plays for Liverpool, therefore = overrated".
No one said it in a absolute sense.

Sterling for example showed way more potential even last season, even though he ended up being a bit underrated due to his burnout in 2nd half.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
My Squad. I went with Stones ahead of Caulker, mainly because of bias, but also because since Jagielka got injured he's been superb at centre back, certainly a better option than Jones. I also added Barry to the midfield ahead of Crouch. I don't want us to pick Crouch, or Carroll, as if either actually get a game, which they shouldn't, we'll resort to playing **** football. Barry could be useful against the top sides, but realistically, he's unlikely to get a go. My XI would be:

--------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------
--Johnson------Cahill--------------Jagielka--------Baines----
-------------------Henderson-------Gerrard------------------------
--Sterling----------------Rooney-------------------Lallana--------
----------------------------Sturridge--------------------------------------
Pretty much identical to my starting XI except I'd have Barry in ahead of Henderson. Barry historically doesn't fill me with optimism exactly but he has had an excellent season, better than Henderson IMO, and he's been less gash in prior seasons. Not really a biggie though because there isn't much in it.

On Jones/Smalling. Jones is a hell of a talent but gets played in too many roles, some of which he is good at and some he isn't. When he's been used correctly he's been good this season, which seems to have gone unnoticed. Smalling on the other hand combines being a very good defender with being, technically, one of the worst players on the ball I have ever seen at his level, which makes it all the more staggering he is repeatedly used at right back. Play him at centre half and he is a good selection, but still Cahill and Jagielka are better.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jones is alright. Maybe some people have only seen his good games and others have only seen his bad games. I don't think his inclusion should be controversial bearing in mind how poor England's depth at CB is.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not interested in the Flanagan debate but Henderson and Allen are both better than Jack Wilshere.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pretty much identical to my starting XI except I'd have Barry in ahead of Henderson. Barry historically doesn't fill me with optimism exactly but he has had an excellent season, better than Henderson IMO, and he's been less gash in prior seasons. Not really a biggie though because there isn't much in it.
Yeah, I'd like to see Barry given a go, but I think it's unlikely. I've not rated Henderson prior to this season, but he's really impressed me this year, his partnership in midfield with Gerrard has been excellent. I'd loved to have been able to squeeze Barkley in there as well, but he'd have to go in in-place of Rooney, and that's not realistic right now. Could potentially replace Stevie G when he retires.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of us think Milner should go right? Mentioned it not long back in here but I really like Milner the Man City player, shame about Milner the England player (not really his fault) but I would still take him.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I didn't but it was touch a go. My last midfield slot could've gone to any of Wilshere, Barkely or Lampard.