Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: England squad discussion

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    When it comes to 'would this work' the best thing to do IMO is try and figure out how a player would fit into the Liverpool side.

Really tbe FA should get Rodgers to do the job temporarily for the World Cup.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Are we all agreed though that even if Wilshere is fit that Henderson is ahead of him?

Yes Liverpool's strikers have been incredible but Gerrard and Henderson haven't been far behind for the past few months

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Are we all agreed though that even if Wilshere is fit that Henderson is ahead of him?

Yes Liverpool's strikers have been incredible but Gerrard and Henderson haven't been far behind for the past few months
    Probably, but I'd play both. Wilshere's career is looking worrying,thogh, constant niggly injuries after a serious one. Very Walcotty.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Probably, but I'd play both. Wilshere's career is looking worrying,thogh, constant niggly injuries after a serious one. Very Walcotty.
    Would be in favour of playing both but they weren't too hot together against Denmark and I want to squeeze Lallana in there. Dunno. It's probably the area of the park I'm happiest with though, and we shouldn't have to suffer Lampard and Gerrard together though I'd probably have Lamps in the squad just for his experience and a goal scoring option from the bench which let's face it none of the backup strikers give us

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Lallana hasn't played CM for Southampton. He has a very adaptable skillset but I still wouldn't be throwing him into the team in such an important position when he hasn't played there before.

They could play him from the left, Sterling/Ox from the right and Rooney+ Sturridge up front. That leaves Henderson and Gerrard in the middle.

I'd be very open to dropping Rooney to get another CM in the team but his inflated reputation makes that so unlikely that it's not worth even contemplating. I definitely don't like the idea of shifting Sturridge to the wing and playing 4-3-3. He's England's best player and shouldn't be moved to a position he's never been as effective in to accommodate anyone else.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 18-03-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Going off the track a bit, it's interesting to note how some United fans are still stuck in a time-tunnel of when they were good.

I saw one fan doing a similar sthick as they have done for decades, about how all United players should be withdrawn from playing for England, as they're always criticised. He said this as if it was a threat. Umm, not quite the threat it has been over the years is it? Cleverly, Jones and a mis-firing Rooney. Ya know I reckon we'd cope.

Oh and didn't Moysey scream about that internet campaign to get rid of Tom, only to drop him right after. Honestly why even mention a stupid interweb petition ITFP.

TBF Rooney's had a decent season. If they didn't drop him after last season they won't drop him now.

Welbeck would probably be more of a miss, given that he's scoring more goals than Rooney this season to go with his far superior open play game. But Moyes hasn't even noticed, so it's hard to imagine Hodgson will.

It's a shame because a front five of Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Welbeck and Sturridge would have so much pace and energy it would surely have to be a good watch. It's the team Jurgen Klopp would pick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Lallana hasn't played CM for Southampton. He has a very adaptable skillset but I still wouldn't be throwing him into the team in such an important position when he hasn't played there before.

They could play him from the left, Sterling/Ox from the right and Rooney+ Sturridge up front. That leaves Henderson and Gerrard in the middle.

I'd be very open to dropping Rooney to get another CM in the team but his inflated reputation makes that so unlikely that it's not worth even contemplating. I definitely don't like the idea of shifting Sturridge to the wing and playing 4-3-3. He's England's best player and shouldn't be moved to a position he's never been as effective in to accommodate anyone else.
    With Sterling, Henderson, Gerrard and Sturridge, surely Hodgson should just copy Liverpool's formation and play Rooney in the Suarez role?

I'm going for something closer to Rooney in the Coutinho role and Lallana on the left of the three runners up front (Ox might be better there, on second thoughts). But yeah they basically want to copy Liverpool as closely as possible.

Liverpool system does change a fair bit though, there is also the fact that Suarez is kind of good and you know not English. I know Liverpool did ok without him at the start of the season but I think it is difficult to jude how their current setup would work without him.

I like the idea of a Gerrard, Henderson and Ox midfield though, Lallana on the left, Sterling on the right and Sturridge upfront. Rooney is due an injury just before the tournament anyway.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    But yeah they basically want to copy Liverpool as closely as possible.
    It's comments like these that really make your day.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Liverpool system does change a fair bit though, there is also the fact that Suarez is kind of good and you know not English. I know Liverpool did ok without him at the start of the season but I think it is difficult to judge how their current setup would work without him.

I like the idea of a Gerrard, Henderson and Ox midfield though, Lallana on the left, Sterling on the right and Sturridge upfront. Rooney is due an injury just before the tournament anyway.
    It has its attractions, but it's horribly dependant on Sturridge for goals. Makes you remember how good Scholes would have been in that sort of formation.

I think Sterling is a tad over-rated on these pages tbh. I can cope with him being in the squad, but not in the first choice starting line-up.

Much as I don't rate Rooney nowadays, he is having an OK season and he won't have a nose-bleed in the opposition's penalty area.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Ox made a good case as backup to Hart yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    It has its attractions, but it's horribly dependant on Sturridge for goals. Makes you remember how good Scholes would have been in that sort of formation.

I think Sterling is a tad over-rated on these pages tbh. I can cope with him being in the squad, but not in the first choice starting line-up.

Much as I don't rate Rooney nowadays, he is having an OK season and he won't have a nose-bleed in the opposition's penalty area.
    Yeah sure, if Rooney is fit then he will play without question.

Nice goal again from Rodriguez, he should definetly go if it is a choice between him and Defoe.

Ryan Lowe should go tbh. Banker for the penalty shootout

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information