• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad discussion

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess my objection isn't so much to saying 21 is "hot", but that this is going to be a super tough world cup for European teams because of the climate. I'd say it's hotter in France, Germany etc than in southern Brazil in the same time of year. Certainly in Italy/Spain. South Africa was colder though I suppose.

I looked up the climate in Manaus though where you guys play Italy and that's a proper tropical climate, 30-32 degrees every day the whole year round.
In the end, no Tournaments really suit us much, because we can't keep the ball, so Summer in Europe, or anytime elsewhere is our problem. Not so much for France and Germany, or similar climated Netherlands, because they play possession football, with high level technical aspects.

We, for as long as I can remember, just don't. Give the ball away, and you don't get it back for awhile against the top sides. Huff-and-puff, makes the Prem all-action, despite matches like last night, but is next to useless in these comps. Hence why I'd like a different breed of player coming through, and to be fair there are a good few likely-lads.

Oh, and Chambers for right-back, I've hardly seen him play, but he's already miles better than G. Johnson and Walker, he looks like he can defend:shocking:

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If Cole doesn't get back in the Chelsea team then I'd take Gibbs instead. Slightly biased perhaps, but I think he's a very serviceable option who is quietly very effective.

In fact even if Cashley does get back in the Chelsea team, I'm not sure he should be picked unless his form is really strong. Don't see any point in taking any players who're almost certainly in the final stretch of their career unless they're good enough to justify a regular starting place/in great form/offer something unique.

Not convinced Cole, nor Lampard (as mentioned above), satisfy any of these criteria.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shaw has a lot of wraps on him for LB, doesn't he? Churn out the talent, yer Saints.

I'd take Terry, FWIW. Big drop off in terms of quality after Cahill and Jagielka. The fact Cahill and Captain Racist are team partners has to help his case too.

As does the shyteness of the other options. Jones or Smalling is madness and Dawson's essentially an inferior Terry*. Equal lack of pace, less physical presence, less commanding of the box.

*Without the evil.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Shaw has a lot of wraps on him for LB, doesn't he? Churn out the talent, yer Saints.

I'd take Terry, FWIW. Big drop off in terms of quality after Cahill and Jagielka. The fact Cahill and Captain Racist are team partners has to help his case too.

As does the shyteness of the other options. Jones or Smalling is madness and Dawson's essentially an inferior Terry*. Equal lack of pace, less physical presence, less commanding of the box.

*Without the evil.
Yeah, had forgotten about Shaw.

Feel it's a bit harsh, or at least unfortunate, that Gibbs hasn't been given more of a crack at playing for England though. No doubt his terrible injury record hasn't helped with that, but one feels that in another age he would have played an awful lot more.

I mean, think of some of the dross England put out at LB in the mid-late 90s. Phil Neville was a complete liability at fullback, Michael Gray and Chris Powell weren't really any good, Graeme Le Saux was fairly underwhelming, Stuart Pearce actually had to come out of international retirement at the age of 37 because of a lack of other options.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, had forgotten about Shaw.

Feel it's a bit harsh, or at least unfortunate, that Gibbs hasn't been given more of a crack at playing for England though. No doubt his terrible injury record hasn't helped with that, but one feels that in another age he would have played an awful lot more.

I mean, think of some of the dross England put out at LB in the mid-late 90s. Phil Neville was a complete liability at fullback, Michael Gray and Chris Powell weren't really any good, Graeme Le Saux was fairly underwhelming, Stuart Pearce actually had to come out of international retirement at the age of 37 because of a lack of other options.
Even worse when you consider how bad the right backs have been since Neville went past it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Even worse when you consider how bad the right backs have been since Neville went past it.
It really annoyed me how the press basically went on about how good Luke Young was, for...forever. It seemed they would never stfu about him and Paul Konchesky, despite there never being any reason for believing that either of them was any good.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Code:
                  Hart

Flanagan   Jagielka   Cahill   Baines

Gerrard    Wilshere

Henderson     Rooney      Lallana 

Sturridge
Bench options:

Whichever 2 goalkeepers you want, they're all crap anyway
Johnson
Gibbs
2 spare centre halves (see goalkeeping problem)
Milner
Carrick (I'm struggling to think of a decent, English central midfielder who can actually pass the ball)
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Barkley
Rodriguez
Wellbeck

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's not too bad. I'd be tempted to start Milner over Henderson. Reckon JM is a tad underrated.

Pothas

I would not be playing Henderson there (he probably should make the squad though), is a more risky option but I would be tempted to play Sterling there.

Wonder what will happen with Townsend.

Pothas

That's not too bad. I'd be tempted to start Milner over Henderson. Reckon JM is a tad underrated.
I kind of think this when he is playing for City but think that is the case of a hard working player functioning well with loads of talented ones, when he plays for England then it is hard look past Scaly's plodder.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would not be playing Henderson there (he probably should make the squad though), is a more risky option but I would be tempted to play Sterling there.

Wonder what will happen with Townsend.
Where I've put Henderson is based on the logic that he plays further forward than Gerrard for Liverpool.

Alternatively, with the same XI, you could go:

Gerrard

Henderson Wilshere

Sturridge Rooney Lallana

Eds

International Debutant
Reckon that's pretty kind to the Scouse Cafu, as legendary as he is.

Aside from that, can't really argue. The 4-3-3 looks better and suits Hendo/Wilshere better but Sturridge not really a wide-man anymore. I think I'd sooner put Rooney out there.

I'd definitely give Sterling a bench spot over basically any of your backup midfield options.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, no Feo means an obviously squad spot for Sterling.

Townsend is an odd one. Looked the part in the autumn, but hardly getting a gig for yer Spurts now.

& whatever chance Morrison had has surely gone with him to 'Arry's mob in west London.

Knock is he was frozen out because he refused to sign up with BFS's preferred agent.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, have no idea how I've omitted Sterling from my 23. Would come in at the expense of Welbeck/Rodriguez in the 23 I've named.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope they don't play Sturridge out wide. He's England's best player by miles at the moment playing as a striker. Would be this generation's Scholes on the left wing.