Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: England squad discussion

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I think again the humidity/dew point/whatever in winter is similar to eastern Australia and California, in the south. But yeah in the north it's much more humid.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Definitely an element of 'it's foreign so scary' in it.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    I think again the humidity/dew point/whatever in winter is similar to eastern Australia and California, in the south. But yeah in the north it's much more humid.
    Yeah it is a giant country, conditions in the south should be no problem at all for anyone, but the conditions in the north will have a real impact.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The John Terry thing won't go away and why would it when our defenders are ****e
    Can't believe I'm saying this to you but I reckon that's a bit harsh. For years I thought Cahill was your typical hack CB who had a decent run of goalscoring form and became permanently over-rated. But he's improved and is having a very good season, especially the past few months. Seems to have added Terry's traditional defensive qualities to his own more modern style.

Jagielka is just a good, solid defender. Maybe it says more about the horrid global decline in CB quality, but how many better ones are there than him in the Prem? He's better than all of United's and Liverpool's, and there's not that much in it with Chelsea's. I reckon Kompany, Mert and Koscielny are the only three that are better.

Those two kept it tight in qualifying too.

Full-backs are more of a concern. Walker is terrible. Johnson is painfully out of form. Cole's been dropped for a mediocre right-back. Baines is still to recapture his best form after injury. Seems to have all gone wrong in that position very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Totally agree about the right back, Walker is so so bad.

Left back is still a strength though, England got more depth there than any other position.

Cahill is someone I am prejudiced against because he was so bad at Griffin Park last year and I can't look past that, agree Jagielka is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    I guess my objection isn't so much to saying 21 is "hot", but that this is going to be a super tough world cup for European teams because of the climate. I'd say it's hotter in France, Germany etc than in southern Brazil in the same time of year. Certainly in Italy/Spain. South Africa was colder though I suppose.

I looked up the climate in Manaus though where you guys play Italy and that's a proper tropical climate, 30-32 degrees every day the whole year round.
    In the end, no Tournaments really suit us much, because we can't keep the ball, so Summer in Europe, or anytime elsewhere is our problem. Not so much for France and Germany, or similar climated Netherlands, because they play possession football, with high level technical aspects.

We, for as long as I can remember, just don't. Give the ball away, and you don't get it back for awhile against the top sides. Huff-and-puff, makes the Prem all-action, despite matches like last night, but is next to useless in these comps. Hence why I'd like a different breed of player coming through, and to be fair there are a good few likely-lads.

Oh, and Chambers for right-back, I've hardly seen him play, but he's already miles better than G. Johnson and Walker, he looks like he can defend
    Last edited by grecian; 13-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    If Cole doesn't get back in the Chelsea team then I'd take Gibbs instead. Slightly biased perhaps, but I think he's a very serviceable option who is quietly very effective.

In fact even if Cashley does get back in the Chelsea team, I'm not sure he should be picked unless his form is really strong. Don't see any point in taking any players who're almost certainly in the final stretch of their career unless they're good enough to justify a regular starting place/in great form/offer something unique.

Not convinced Cole, nor Lampard (as mentioned above), satisfy any of these criteria.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Shaw has a lot of wraps on him for LB, doesn't he? Churn out the talent, yer Saints.

I'd take Terry, FWIW. Big drop off in terms of quality after Cahill and Jagielka. The fact Cahill and Captain Racist are team partners has to help his case too.

As does the shyteness of the other options. Jones or Smalling is madness and Dawson's essentially an inferior Terry*. Equal lack of pace, less physical presence, less commanding of the box.

*Without the evil.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Shaw has a lot of wraps on him for LB, doesn't he? Churn out the talent, yer Saints.

I'd take Terry, FWIW. Big drop off in terms of quality after Cahill and Jagielka. The fact Cahill and Captain Racist are team partners has to help his case too.

As does the shyteness of the other options. Jones or Smalling is madness and Dawson's essentially an inferior Terry*. Equal lack of pace, less physical presence, less commanding of the box.

*Without the evil.
    Yeah, had forgotten about Shaw.

Feel it's a bit harsh, or at least unfortunate, that Gibbs hasn't been given more of a crack at playing for England though. No doubt his terrible injury record hasn't helped with that, but one feels that in another age he would have played an awful lot more.

I mean, think of some of the dross England put out at LB in the mid-late 90s. Phil Neville was a complete liability at fullback, Michael Gray and Chris Powell weren't really any good, Graeme Le Saux was fairly underwhelming, Stuart Pearce actually had to come out of international retirement at the age of 37 because of a lack of other options.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    @Uppercut yeah I rate both them but as Brumby said the depth just isn't there

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah, had forgotten about Shaw.

Feel it's a bit harsh, or at least unfortunate, that Gibbs hasn't been given more of a crack at playing for England though. No doubt his terrible injury record hasn't helped with that, but one feels that in another age he would have played an awful lot more.

I mean, think of some of the dross England put out at LB in the mid-late 90s. Phil Neville was a complete liability at fullback, Michael Gray and Chris Powell weren't really any good, Graeme Le Saux was fairly underwhelming, Stuart Pearce actually had to come out of international retirement at the age of 37 because of a lack of other options.
    Even worse when you consider how bad the right backs have been since Neville went past it.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Even worse when you consider how bad the right backs have been since Neville went past it.
    It really annoyed me how the press basically went on about how good Luke Young was, for...forever. It seemed they would never stfu about him and Paul Konchesky, despite there never being any reason for believing that either of them was any good.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Code:
                      Hart

Flanagan   Jagielka   Cahill   Baines

Gerrard    Wilshere

Henderson     Rooney      Lallana 

Sturridge
    Bench options:

Whichever 2 goalkeepers you want, they're all crap anyway
    Johnson
    Gibbs
    2 spare centre halves (see goalkeeping problem)
    Milner
    Carrick (I'm struggling to think of a decent, English central midfielder who can actually pass the ball)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Barkley
    Rodriguez
    Wellbeck
    Nate likes this.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    That's not too bad. I'd be tempted to start Milner over Henderson. Reckon JM is a tad underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I would not be playing Henderson there (he probably should make the squad though), is a more risky option but I would be tempted to play Sterling there.

Wonder what will happen with Townsend.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information