• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England squad discussion

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Welbeck's probably a better option for that at this stage, though.
Yeah, that's true. I guess Milner has a bit more grit to him though. Or at least seems to be perceived that way anyway.

I think a lot of people tend to see Welbeck in a "player = forward, and so not great defensively" way. Quite wrongly, of course.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only really Smalling is properly cringe, so fair play to Woy.

He picks up a knock and maybe young Stones gets a gig.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that's true. I guess Milner has a bit more grit to him though. Or at least seems to be perceived that way anyway.

I think a lot of people tend to see Welbeck in a "player = forward, and so not great defensively" way. Quite wrongly, of course.
Yeah, he's more like a ball of unlimited energy with the added ability to protect possession with unnatural gangliness. Useful in some circumstances when deployed correctly.

Truth be told his attacking output as a winger is terrible, and the main reason, along with plain bad finishing, for his oft-cited poor goalscoring record.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think English fans in particular consider players with lots of stamina as incapable of being hard-working, in some cases at least. Players like Milner and Scott Parker get the plaudits for being hard-working/running themselves into the ground, when simply (particularly in Parker's case) they're absolutely gassed after 60 minutes. Honestly seems to me that people often tend to deploy a "well, he doesn't look knackered so he can't have worked hard" attitude, whilst ignoring all the evidence to the contrary, when making these sort of determinations.

As you know I don't rate Welbeck particularly highly in terms of ability, but to give him his due I think there's a lot to be said for what he brings to a side in terms of work rate etc...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is almost a really good footballer and I suspect he is always likely to remain that way.

Uppercut

I think English fans in particular consider players with lots of stamina as incapable of being hard-working, in some cases at least. Players like Milner and Scott Parker get the plaudits for being hard-working/running themselves into the ground, when simply (particularly in Parker's case) they're absolutely gassed after 60 minutes. Honestly seems to me that people often tend to deploy a "well, he doesn't look knackered so he can't have worked hard" attitude, whilst ignoring all the evidence to the contrary, when making these sort of determinations.
Yeah this annoys me too. Also they haven't twigged on that better technical ability is usually the result of harder work in training. There's just no way someone like Bergkamp got his first touch so good without a pretty serious work ethic, but it's Ray Parlour who gets credit for putting in the most effort.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah this annoys me too. Also they haven't twigged on that better technical ability is usually the result of harder work in training. There's just no way someone like Bergkamp got his first touch so good without a pretty serious work ethic, but it's Ray Parlour who gets credit for putting in the most effort.
That comparison actually does Romford Ray a bit of a disservice imo. Hard-working as he was, Parlour was actually really technically proficient. He was obviously no Bergkamp, bur he's actually quite underrated in this regard I think.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It also refers to the work coaches do with players.

Really bugs me when people say Guardiola was "lucky" to inherit the squad he did.

Uppercut

Really bugs me when people say Guardiola was "lucky" to inherit the squad he did.
Yeah I reckon that's my biggest berserk button in football. Even worse than when **** United fans say Hernandez should start ahead of Welbeck.

Reminds me of what I said after England's win in Aus. If you do your job well enough as a coach, your players' reputations rise so high that it devalues your own achievement.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
There's no backup to Gerrard in the DM/DLP or #6 role ?

One of Barry or Carrick should have gone instead of Lampard for balance.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's no backup to Gerrard in the DM/DLP or #6 role ?
Bigger concern is the back up at centre half - a pair of players who have spent most of the season not playing there for their clubs.

There being no back-up for a role which we don't even know is going to be utilised is irrelevant compared to that.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I didn't have Lampard in my 23 but I can't actually think who I'd have picked instead of him.
Apart from 23 other players..

Like others, I think Smalling is the worst decision. Very good squad though overall. A bit of a shame the group England are in, because in an easier group a quarter final penalty shoot out loss wouldn't be out of the question.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Danny Mills on 5live one to avoid. I don't actually think he is that bad but has been such a **** over this B team thing.

Who had Adebayor last time? He better be back.