• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No he isn't, he said Muller should be embarrassed.

He is quoting posts and totally ignoring the point being made (that Muller isn't reacting like that because he is soft, but because he is cheating), and responding as if we are actually defending Muller, which most aren't.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I thought the ref was really good actually. Really authoritative. Wasn't afraid to push players away quite forcefully when they got too close. Sent Pepe off in a very no nonsense way too. Just strolled up, card out, done.

Loved the reactions of all the Portuguese players too; no protests at all, they just looked at Pepe as if to say "nice one you ****ing idiot".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While I certainly don't like simulation, I think the worst thing in football is the surrounding and jostling of the referee when they make a contentious decision. FIFA should make it that only a captain can approach the ref and of players a use an official they should be sent. Would end it in a week.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
While I certainly don't like simulation, I think the worst thing in football is the surrounding and jostling of the referee when they make a contentious decision. FIFA should make it that only a captain can approach the ref and of players a use an official they should be sent. Would end it in a week.
I don't think it's a coincidence that this doesn't happen in either rugby code where the referees are mic'd up.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I agree. I think pundits and people in the media are in a big way to blame for this sort of thing though. Andy Gray (WAC) always used to say things like "the player has every right to be angry with the referee/to question the referee there".

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm hoping for Ghana to win 5-0, with four penalties and four sending-offs, all as a direct result of simulation, diving, cheating, mixtures of all, so the Yanks can **** off and stop bothering the sport for another four years in a sense of righteous indignation they do so well.

Then they can moan, as only they can, how crazy the ROTW is to be out of line with them. Everyone's a winner.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, touching the referee in a hostile manner should be a straight red. There's not a single other sport in the world I can think of where that sort of thing is acceptable. Even in American sports where they are incredibly harsh on referees who make bad calls, the harsh treatment comes from the league or whatever and not from some angry players on the pitch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Honestly, touching the referee in a hostile manner should be a straight red. There's not a single other sport in the world I can think of where that sort of thing is acceptable. Even in American sports where they are incredibly harsh on referees who make bad calls, the harsh treatment comes from the league or whatever and not from some angry players on the pitch.
Part of the problem is referees themselves not upholding the rules where it comes to players abusing referees.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, it'd be hilarious to see a ref go down like Muller did today after being touched by a player. I wonder what would happen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree but am pretty sure it's at least a yellow already under the rules and refs very rarely give them out for that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Di Canio got 11 games for something similar.
Nah, that was a legit shove which actually sent the ref tumbling. What I meant was more like was a ref being prodded in the chest and then rolling around on the floor for a few minutes pretending to be in agony.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blimey this Hockey final replay is, umm, impressive. Why didn't I know this was on before.

Oh yeah football, C'mon Ghana.