• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there anybody that thinks he's a **** but still thinks 4 months is too much?

That's basically 9 matches for Uruguay, with another 9 EPL games and whatever CL and cup games LFC have. That's ****ed up.
No, think he is lucky the 4 month ban includes July when there is no football.

Burgey

Dodging a drug test carries with it an implication you've done it because you're on the gear.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The sentence might seem harsh if it was the first time he'd been caught doing it.

Or even the second.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What about Case, Souness and McMahon then if you want to go back years?
Firstly, this isn't a LFC thing. Those players prove my point.

Secondly, true, I was naming players of basically this era. Although I'd say the standard is probably better now than then. Players legit went on the field to end other players' careers. It was disgraceful then, Souness was Keane squared.

Another player that comes to mind from this era basically, Van Bommel. Dirty player.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

It's a good thing I mentioned Ramos, Pepe and Keane...you know, guys that routinely get/got sent off for violent conduct.

Even on the first instance: Tassotti breaks Luis Enrique's nose: 8 matches; Suarez bites Bakkal, 7 matches.

Anyway, my avatar makes me feel a bit better.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I do actually think the ban is a bit OTT, in some ways. Not harsh on Suarez - he deserves it - but on Liverpool.

If he had bitten someone in the prem again at the end of the season, I would confidently predict that they would almost certainly not have banned him from internationals.

I think if Liverpool want to contest this, they will get very far. Especially the fact that they can't appeal it seems hugely in contravention with the way these things worked. Dunno and don't know if any of you legal wankers know sporting law all that well but to me, it doesn't seem right.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Firstly, this isn't a LFC thing. Those players prove my point.

Secondly, true, I was naming players of basically this era. Although I'd say the standard is probably better now than then. Players legit went on the field to end other players' careers. It was disgraceful then, Souness was Keane squared.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I do actually think the ban is a bit OTT, in some ways. Not harsh on Suarez - he deserves it - but on Liverpool.

If he had bitten someone in the prem again at the end of the season, I would confidently predict that they would almost certainly not have banned him from internationals.

I think if Liverpool want to contest this, they will get very far. Especially the fact that they can't appeal it seems hugely in contravention with the way these things worked. Dunno and don't know if any of you legal wankers know sporting law all that well but to me, it doesn't seem right.
Cantona was banned from France for what he did (he was France captain at the time). Whether the French FA had a right of appeal though I don't know.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cantona was banned from France for what he did (he was France captain at the time). Whether the French FA had a right of appeal though I don't know.
I don't know if he was? FIFA rubber-stamped it, but that applied to other domestic leagues meaning he couldn't escape the ban. France stripped him of the captaincy and refuse to select him.

Maybe he was banned from international football, but it seems like the French FF made a decision that stopped it from really being an issue.

This is all a bit hazy on my part though; maybe it was put in writing that he was banned from all football. United played him in some friendlies that summer though.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I don't know if he was? FIFA rubber-stamped it, but that applied to other domestic leagues meaning he couldn't escape the ban. France stripped him of the captaincy and refuse to select him.

Maybe he was banned from international football, but it seems like the French FF made a decision that stopped it from really being an issue.

This is all a bit hazy on my part though; maybe it was put in writing that he was banned from all football. United played him in some friendlies that summer though.
From wiki: "Jacquet began to rebuild the national team in preparation for Euro 96 and appointed Cantona as captain. Cantona remained captain until the Selhurst Park incident in January 1995. The suspension which resulted from this incident also prevented him from playing in international matches."

United did try and arrange practice matches for Cantona within the context of training only, but were censured by the FA for doing so.

EDIT: It is of course true that France refused to pick him even after his suspension ended, but the suspension applied to all football and he couldn't have played for France whether they wanted him or not for the 9 month duration of the suspension.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
From wiki: "Jacquet began to rebuild the national team in preparation for Euro 96 and appointed Cantona as captain. Cantona remained captain until the Selhurst Park incident in January 1995. The suspension which resulted from this incident also prevented him from playing in international matches."

United did try and arrange practice matches for Cantona within the context of training only, but were censured by the FA for doing so.

EDIT: It is of course true that France refused to pick him even after his suspension ended, but the suspension applied to all football and he couldn't have played for France whether they wanted him or not for the 9 month duration of the suspension.
Fair enough. Wonder what would have happened they appealed.

He defo played some games in the summer though. Behind closed doors friendly. Remember it vividly.