Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 555 of 826
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

  1. #541
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    11,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    By winning their first 2 games.
    Yeah thanks captain obvious....cos I totally missed that
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

  2. #542
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,127
    I actually always want England to do reasonably well in these tournaments because I follow the premier league (2 time CW Fantasy Football Champion) significantly more than any other league.

    Please correct if I'm wrong but I feel as though English footballers rarely score the late equaliser or the winning goal in premiership games. I don't know if their is a stat to back this up or if its because so many foreign players in the league are naturally going to score the deciding goal more often but it just felt like the England squad were waiting for someone else to provide that moment of genius. In hindsight, I think Carroll would have been a better bench option than Lambert as the bench had really low impact in both games.

  3. #543
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    I know he is not the most popular on here at the moment but Wilshere is going to be really important for England in the next few years, just need him to stay fit.
    Yeah, him, Henderson and Lallana should be the mainstays of the midfield now. With Sterling or Barkley in front of them.

    And as Brumby said, surely Gerrard's time has gone.

  4. #544
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,663
    I don't think Gerrard's time has passed completely but it's clear that they can't pick him in a two-man midfield. All of the clubs have moved to three midfielders now anyway and Rooney is the main reason England haven't followed suit, but I think the country will be more open to the idea of leaving him on the bench for the good of the team after this tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.


  5. #545
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,147
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I actually always want England to do reasonably well in these tournaments because I follow the premier league (2 time CW Fantasy Football Champion) significantly more than any other league.

    Please correct if I'm wrong but I feel as though English footballers rarely score the late equaliser or the winning goal in premiership games. I don't know if their is a stat to back this up or if its because so many foreign players in the league are naturally going to score the deciding goal more often but it just felt like the England squad were waiting for someone else to provide that moment of genius. In hindsight, I think Carroll would have been a better bench option than Lambert as the bench had really low impact in both games.
    England's problem in tournaments is that they come flying out the traps far too quickly. The difference in goal scoring between 1st halves and 2nd halves is incredible.

  6. #546
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    England's problem in tournaments is that they come flying out the traps far too quickly. The difference in goal scoring between 1st halves and 2nd halves is incredible.
    Wouldn't matter if they could defend.

  7. #547
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,635
    Harry Redknapp: "When I was at Tottenham and full internationals came around, two or three players didn't want to play.
    "They did not want to go and play for England. They'd come to me 10 days before the game and say: 'Gaffer get me out of the game because I don't want to play in that game'.
    "I think it's only going to get worse because they see the stick the England players get.
    "They're earning fantastic money at their clubs and playing Champions League and thinking: 'Do we need that aggro?'"
    Saw this on the BBC. As a cricket fan and a United fan I'm familiar with the English press. Are the other European countries as harsh on their national teams and players?

  8. #548
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,098
    For the public to get on the back of an individual player they have to have a real shocker - generally we save the bile for the manager - I think Harry is mischief making tbh

  9. #549
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    For the public to get on the back of an individual player they have to have a real shocker - generally we save the bile for the manager - I think Harry is mischief making tbh
    Unless your Becks/Rooney and get a red card or miss a crucial penalty.

    There's probably something in the criticism of too many foreign players in the PL but I'm not sure how you fix the more young/English players in teams without a quota system. Which would last until the first court challenge for restraint of trade.

  10. #550
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post

    There's probably something in the criticism of too many foreign players in the PL but I'm not sure how you fix the more young/English players in teams without a quota system. Which would last until the first court challenge for restraint of trade.
    Never really understood that one - if you follow that logic then with 18 first class counties as opposed to 4,5,6 and now 7 states we should have spent the last 100 odd years winning each and every Ashes series

  11. #551
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Never really understood that one - if you follow that logic then with 18 first class counties as opposed to 4,5,6 and now 7 states we should have spent the last 100 odd years winning each and every Ashes series
    The Shield has limits on foreign players and the PL doesn't. A cricket team won't consist of 11 foreign players (Fulham iirc).

  12. #552
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,868
    Too much criticism? Please. Subcontinental cricketers have been trying to use that excuse for decades. Sorry but someone criticizing you unfairly isn't the reason you're 30lbs overweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  13. #553
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,663
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    For the public to get on the back of an individual player they have to have a real shocker - generally we save the bile for the manager - I think Harry is mischief making tbh
    Don't know about this, it's not been the case more recently but for a long time they were very quick to boo their own players. Apart from the Algeria game you had stuff like Rio Ferdinand being booed for having a brother who was racially abused.

  14. #554
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,147
    Rio is a massive cock socket in all fairness.

  15. #555
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,755
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    For the public to get on the back of an individual player they have to have a real shocker - generally we save the bile for the manager - I think Harry is mischief making tbh
    Course he is. Still bitter that he didn't get the job.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-03-2011, 12:10 PM
  2. Group F - Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
    By James in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 680
    Last Post: 26-06-2010, 06:55 AM
  3. Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
    By James in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 322
    Last Post: 24-06-2010, 05:48 AM
  4. Group E: Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic
    By vic_orthdox in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 25-06-2006, 07:11 AM
  5. Group A: Germany, Costa Rica, Poland, Ecuador
    By vic_orthdox in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 16-06-2006, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •