• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh, England brought a 72 man entourage to Brazil. Lucky that misery loves company.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'd need to check, but I think it's unprecedented that we've gone out after two group games in a major tournament.

Even in 1950, when we famously lost 1-0 to the US, we were still a chance if we won our last game.
This is what happens when you don't pick anyone from Spurs.

fredfertang

It's all a conspiracy - I blame the bloke standing on that grassy knoll by the Toxteth Book Depository

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Have to take your hat off to Costa Coffee. They've eliminated two former winners.

First group stage exit since 1958 for England, ftr. Woy keeps his job.

Hmm.

There will be a lot of people echoing that, but I really don't know who should replace him if he were to go.It's probably a couple of years too early for Martinez, even if he was interested in the job.

Lets face it, we were never going to do a thing here given the players at his disposal, and if the early departure has reminded him that there are reasons why sides haven't played four forwards since about 1950, then maybe there's hope that we can improve. At least he isn't stuck in idea that it has to be 4-4-2 or bust, so maybe there will be some flexibility between now and the euros.

James

Cricket Web Owner
A general question for you England fans that I thought was relevant. Tonight in the rugby test between the All Blacks and England, one of the commentators was remarking on the England team attempting to play an All Blacks style of rugby when they simply don't have the players with the ball skill ability to be able to match them and that's one of the main reasons they continue to lose against the All Blacks. They're trying to play a style they're just not suited to.

Is it a similar reason for the England football team in them getting too caught up in attempting to play an attacking brand of football where the quality of the players just isn't up to playing that style of football? Do you England fans support the style of play you're playing and think it's the right direction moving forward?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A general question for you England fans that I thought was relevant. Tonight in the rugby test between the All Blacks and England, one of the commentators was remarking on the England team attempting to play an All Blacks style of rugby when they simply don't have the players with the ball skill ability to be able to match them and that's one of the main reasons they continue to lose against the All Blacks. They're trying to play a style they're just not suited to.

Is it a similar reason for the England football team in them getting too caught up in attempting to play an attacking brand of football where the quality of the players just isn't up to playing that style of football? Do you England fans support the style of play you're playing and think it's the right direction moving forward?
As I mentioned before, I don't think that playing four forwards is viable. We get outnumbered in midfield and/or we leave our full backs horribly exposed.
Beyond that, I don't think the formation matters too much, as it will probably change from time to time anyway. As long as it's suited to the players at our disposal, anyway. For years, we have 2 or 3 mid-fielders who could arrive late and score goals, but we stuck rigidly to a 4-4-2 system that didn't make the most of them. Now we don't have those sort of players, so we're going to need two goal scoring forwards and a system that plays to them.

The main thing is getting the players to actually pass and move with some sort of intelligence. And to have the confidence to go out and play.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There will be a lot of people echoing that, but I really don't know who should replace him if he were to go.It's probably a couple of years too early for Martinez, even if he was interested in the job.

Lets face it, we were never going to do a thing here given the players at his disposal, and if the early departure has reminded him that there are reasons why sides haven't played four forwards since about 1950, then maybe there's hope that we can improve. At least he isn't stuck in idea that it has to be 4-4-2 or bust, so maybe there will be some flexibility between now and the euros.
The formation he played is a pretty popular one in the modern game. It's more the round pegs square holes way some of the players were used for it, but the system itself isn't dated, IMO

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Our biggest problem is we don't have a decent defence anymore.

Cahill's maybe just about international class if he has a commanding partner in the middle with him (like, say, oh, I don't know, John Terry for instance), but Jagielka's patently not it and isn't quite there as international class; no pace and loses his man too oftem. Baines is also too slow and didn't deliver the telling balls he was selected for and if Johnson hasn't made it by now (and he hasn't) he never will at 29.

Hateful individuals as they are, it doesn't obscure the fact that Cashley and Terry have been two of our best tournament players.

Solutions? Well, Stones I have very high hopes for. Playing under a good young manager, positionally sound and has quality distribution. I don't think Shaw is really a full back, so if he gets an extended run of fitness Gibbs should get the #3 spot and it's possible Flanagan will replace Johnson in both club and national sides, natural right back as he is.

Howe_zat

Audio File

I think that commentator was talking out of his arse, frankly

grecian

I know I'm a stuck record when it comes to England, and when we go out of Tournaments. Yet in the end we give the ball away too much. Again and again and again. We don't value possesion and teams punish us for it. We're never in the right positions, because the trouble is often all of our own making.

Yes the individual defenders were awful, but they weren't helped by us just causing the attacks ourselves and so we are inevitably short-sided. We also run out of steam more because it's much more tiring without the ball than with it.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I thought England started well against Italy but tired badly and the defense let them down. Uruguay was return to the old scared to lose England. Uruguay did press well and it frequently got them possession.

Sitting 2 midfielders deep to protect the back 4 didn't work. They need to play a more balanced team and not use 4 forwards. He tried to fit what he thought were the best players all in the team. For that attacking a team only Rooney looked like scoring in the Uruguay game.

Pothas

I know he is not the most popular on here at the moment but Wilshere is going to be really important for England in the next few years, just need him to stay fit.