• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You were there?? Now that is something to dine out on!!!

'82 was the first World Cup I watched and I have so many fond memories of it which are still so vivid.........

- This time (We'll get it right), First single I ever purchased and still got it on the cupboard somewhere.

- Neso Dorma

- Bryan Robsons 37 sec (?) goal

- Zico - WAFG......still my fav player ever.
Wasn't that Italia 90?

Other great moments from 82 that particularly stick in my mind were Gerry Armstrong's winner for Northern Ireland against Spain, Algeria beating Jerry & Tardelli (sp?) celebrating his goal in the final with an obvious expression of sheer bug-eyed, fist-pumping joy. Puts all choreographed celebs to shame. If I ever scored in a world cup final, that's how I'd want to go.

Less great was Austria & West Germany playing out a 1-0 win for the latter that advanced both to the second round at the expense of the plucky, etc Algerians.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The worst thing about the match (for me) was having to leave at the 65 mark to get to work on time. Still, I picked a 2 goal margin for Brazil, so off to a flying start in the tipping.

Not sure where to post this, but this is such a good night/week/even month for sport.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Socrates for me.

Jeez FJ, what a game to go and see, that Brazil-Argentina match.

Ditto regarding Socrates.

But so many great players - Eder was amazing, Falcao too.

And their demolition of Argentina was possibly the peak of their performances. Absolutely dismantled a side that had won the tournaments either side of it.

Arguably the most watchable World Cup in my life time. Either that or 1970, anyway.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding yesterday's match, the last thing I watched before it was a Simpsons' episode where Homer ended up reffing in this WC due to the widespread corruption.
I didn't realise until later it was actually a documentary. Shocking penalty, unless we're going to a dozen pens in every match. Cowardly disallowal of what should have been Croatia's second. And Neymar should have seen red for that elbow, after having a sneaky look over his shoulder before thumping his opponent.
Apart from that, I suppose the ref did OK.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon it was a penalty, technically speaking.

By technically speaking, I mean "I want them given for my team but not for any other team, because the latter is an affront to football".

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What the f? No Vela for Mexico. Wanted to see him Chicharito and dos Santos play together. Lol, Rafa Marquez still playing

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ditto regarding Socrates.

But so many great players - Eder was amazing, Falcao too.

And their demolition of Argentina was possibly the peak of their performances. Absolutely dismantled a side that had won the tournaments either side of it.

Arguably the most watchable World Cup in my life time. Either that or 1970, anyway.
Was before my time, but that 1982 world cup was just sensational. Eder was my personal favorite from that ridiculous side... That goal where flicked it up with his toe and smashed it into the net from 25 yards all in one smooth movement was pure ***. :wub:
Envious of everyone who was fortunate enough to watch that WC live. Must've been some spectacle.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Was before my time, but that 1982 world cup was just sensational. Eder was my personal favorite from that ridiculous side... That goal where flicked it up with his toe and smashed it into the net from 25 yards all in one smooth movement was pure ***. :wub:
Envious of everyone who was fortunate enough to watch that WC live. Must've been some spectacle.
Indeed it was.

The Eder goal that you described was in their opening game, against the USSR. They'd actually fallen behind courtesy of a howler from the keeper, but won it 2-1 thanks to two of the most extraordinary goals you could wish to see. Eder's was the winner. Before that, Socrates had smashed in the equalised from about 25 yards - one of those shots that seemed to gain pace as it ripped past the keeper. And yes, it was love at first sight for the viewers.

ripper868

International Coach
Mexico robbed of a goal with that offside on 11 mins. Looking the far superior team as well, Cameroon struggling to get out of own half.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
These guys are finally starting to play up to WC level. Mexico a little unlucky here till now.

ripper868

International Coach
It really is pissing down isn't it. Can't really see it on the wide shot but those slow mo close ups really show it. Credit to the ground staff the field hasn't fallen apart yet.