• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cracking game, I thought. We always drop points somewhere during qualification, normally in 'easier' games than this, mind.

Gerrard and Johnson both out next game. Lampard takes armband, Carrick or Parker in for Gerrard I guess.

All in all I thought we werent too bad but ran into too many dead ends in the final third. Can't remember who we've got next.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Decent performance, fair result. Wasn't sure about the starting XI but Woy's subs made a big difference.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not as clear about the penalty as other people here.

The defender's body is in Welbeck path and he hits against him before he tries to drag his back leg. If the defender is just stood in the way isn't that as much of a foul as nicking him with his foot?

Uppercut

I'm not as clear about the penalty as other people here.

The defender's body is in Welbeck path and he hits against him before he tries to drag his back leg. If the defender is just stood in the way isn't that as much of a foul as nicking him with his foot?
Nah if he moves to get in your way that'd theoretically be obstruction and an indirect free kick. But you can't run over the leg of a static defender for a penalty, which is what he tried to do.

I don't think it was a foul but that it was a hilariously bad dive is beyond all doubt.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Roy got the subs right, it was probably what prevented an embarrassing defeat. Thought they were lucky to get anything from the game.

Thought the guy who scored for Ukraine looked like a really handy player though. Had sound technique and plenty of pace, made quite intelligent use of the ball as well. Went past Glen Johnson like he wasn't there on numerous occasions, though, granted, that may not be the hardest of tasks.

flibbertyjibber

Roy got the subs right, it was probably what prevented an embarrassing defeat. Thought they were lucky to get anything from the game.

Thought the guy who scored for Ukraine looked like a really handy player though. Had sound technique and plenty of pace, made quite intelligent use of the ball as well. Went past Glen Johnson like he wasn't there on numerous occasions, though, granted, that may not be the hardest of tasks.
He did look a good player, what odds on a multi million pound move to a Prem side in January?

Scaly piscine

Lucky? England got the crap side of the decisions including a perfectly good goal ruled out and were unlucky enough to have two great chances fall to Cleverley. Aside from those chances they created more than the Ukraine did - who while they had a lot of sights at goal didn't actually create that many good opportunities.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think England definitely shaded it, but the defence looks as if it will always give the oppo a sniff. The Ukraine spurned better chances than the one they took.

& Hart's the most overrated keeper in world football, IMHO. Nothing special about him at all.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Lucky? England got the crap side of the decisions including a perfectly good goal ruled out and were unlucky enough to have two great chances fall to Cleverley. Aside from those chances they created more than the Ukraine did - who while they had a lot of sights at goal didn't actually create that many good opportunities.
They were incredibly ordinary.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah if he moves to get in your way that'd theoretically be obstruction and an indirect free kick. But you can't run over the leg of a static defender for a penalty, which is what he tried to do.

I don't think it was a foul but that it was a hilariously bad dive is beyond all doubt.
Isn't the indirect free kick in the box for obstruction rule obsolete now? Or did I imagine that.

Uppercut

Isn't the indirect free kick in the box for obstruction rule obsolete now? Or did I imagine that.
I think you might be right. Refs stopped giving it years ago but I never knew they'd made it official.

Uppercut

& Hart's the most overrated keeper in world football, IMHO. Nothing special about him at all.
Hmm, really? He looks uncertain at crosses but I don't recall him making any serious goal-costing errors. And he tends to palm the ball back into play for the rebound sometimes. But he also makes some saves no one else in the world would make, saved Citeh a ton of points last season. The game against Liverpool was especially ridiculous.

Distribution's as good as anyone too. Best keeper in the prem for mine.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not sure if he's best in the Prem, but having said that I can't really think of any others I'd say were conclusively better than he is. He's a good keeper in any case imo. Have faith that he'd come up with the goods more often than not. As Upper**** said, he may be a bit iffy on crosses, and does tend to palm the ball back out into play a bit more than you'd like, but I'd defo have him as England No.1.

Scaly piscine

Hmm, really? He looks uncertain at crosses but I don't recall him making any serious goal-costing errors. And he tends to palm the ball back into play for the rebound sometimes. But he also makes some saves no one else in the world would make, saved Citeh a ton of points last season. The game against Liverpool was especially ridiculous.

Distribution's as good as anyone too. Best keeper in the prem for mine.
Well he punts the ball upfield far too often. Was better tonight, I don't know whether it's his choice or he's getting orders or what.

He is indeed a bit dodgy on crosses, it's more when he tries to punch - he's rubbish at it. He had one at the end off a free kick from a good wide crossing position, it was down his throat and you really want him to catch those in the 90oddth minute and everyone can take a deep breath. Instead he punched it weakly to the edge of the box. Fortunately the Ukraine player didn't control it quickly with his first touch or he'd have had a good shooting opportunity.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what was more depressing in the 20 minutes that I saw - Lampard & Gerrard being reunited in centre midfield or how many England players aren't regularly first choices for their club sides nowadays. Surely these results will only become more frequent now that the EPL can't come up with a squad full of regulars for their clubs.

And where was Walcott last night?

Uppercut

Injured IIRC.

The guys who started yesterday are all still regular starters or close to it, just not Defoe, and that's got a lot to do with the striker shortage and injuries. Plus they could've picked Welbeck who's started both games for United this season.

I think the problem is just that football has taken a sharp technical turn in the past few years and English footballers are notoriously unsubtle. You see it when Spanish players come into the Premiership- Cazorla, Mata, Michu, guys that weren't even making the Spain squad- and they just look head and shoulders above everyone else. Then you have guys like Walcott, often the only English starter for Arsenal and his first touch sticks out like a sore thumb.

The next generation of Cleverly, Welbeck, Sturridge, Wilshere are pretty good technically but Wilshere's injured and the others aren't quite there yet. But in any case, fans in the UK don't really appreciate good technique and consistent passing; it's not how they like to see the game played. Deep-lying midfielders become hate figures for "only ever passing the ball sideways" and target men become cult heroes. Football is an expression of masculinity here in a way that it isn't anywhere else; we love a good crunching tackle or a metaphor that compares the match to a fight. And hate diving and admitting (or feigning) pain much, much more than anyone else. It's a cultural feature of football in the UK that's looking more and more like a flaw that's holding the national team back.