Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    It would be pretty funny if France end up in Pot 2 anyway. I would hate to be whichever team ends there, it could well be the group of death.

What would England's dream group be? For Australia, we really need a weak African team from Pot 2 to have any chance of progressing. Failing that, it would be nice to have Uruguay, England or Italy in our group for different reasons.
    Guess you'll have to change your name to Costa Rica Fan.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Haha, can't wait to see England vs Uruguay.

What I'm less looking forward to is the stupid ITV/BBC pundits expressing shock at how our amazing mighty team of talented players has been beaten by this small nation from South America. Or putting it all down to Suarez.

Anyway, should have thought that's England out. Playing against Italy and two South American sides in extreme humidity/heat? Good luck with that.

Yeah England are gone.

Australia got a fine group...

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    So who nobbles Suarez before the end of the season then?

We are toast, finish bottom of the group I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    So who nobbles Suarez before the end of the season then?

We are toast, finish bottom of the group I reckon.

Hey, where's your Dunkirk Spirit, reckon we could finish third.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Colombia's seeding is proper bull**** too. Haven't qualified for a WC in years and haven't made it to a Copa America semi-final since 2004.

It's less of a problem because they have a good crop of players now but there's no way in hell they deserve top seeding.
    Colombia's seeding is fine it seems to me. I don't know how the FIFA rankings are calculated but there is no way that what happened in 2004 should be relevant. Colombia at the moment are a very good side so that's one of the seedings I have less of a problem with.

Belgium is the worse one as like Colombia their ranking is based upon only a recent upturn but unlike Colombia, Belgium were in a piss easy qualification group.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    So football's coming home.

After 3 matches.

International Coach
    People being a bit over-pessimistic in this thread. Because of there being two qualification spots from the group you can be the third best team in the group and yet still more likely to qualify than not, which is exactly how it is on Betfair - England are 1.7 to qualify, which is still longer than Italy and Uruguay. Think this is still wrong anyway as the market tends to overrate Italy; they haven't been very good for a while now. Wouldn't even have them above England tbh, let alone Uruguay given it's in South America. Costa Rica at 12s to qualify looks the value to me.

Don't see how they are not above England. Final of Euros and had little trouble quailfying.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Looks like our pathway to the second round is easily assured then

Someone nobble Van Persie and we will smack Netherlands, can see a noble draw against Spain and we will flog Chile.

#bringingalittlebitofHookseytotheWCthread
    Nate likes this.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Don't see how they are not above England. Final of Euros and had little trouble quailfying.
    Yeah I don't expect many people to agree with me on that but I honestly don't think they are. Needed penalties to overcome England on the way to that final and then got embarrassed in it. Admittedly the win over Germany was impressive but it was only one game. They also were not very convincing at all in getting out of the group stages of the Euros, if memory serves only a late goal from Spain against Croatia sent them through. It was one of those cases where a team makes the final having basically had one impressive result in getting there.

They had little trouble qualifying but in much the same way as Belgium had little trouble. They had a piss easy group and were pretty uninspiring in their way out of it. They had a worse record than England did in qualification (if we go down to seperating on goal difference) against considerably worse opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Guess you'll have to change your name to Costa Rica Fan.
    Yessss, exactly, crazy how that panned out. I'm really gutted about Australia's group, the teams we are playing are too clinical. At least if we got drawn where Costa Rica did, we'd have Uruguay, who we beat famously to make the World Cup, England who obviously we have a massive rivalry in different sports and Italy knocked us out of our best World Cup, so the games would mean heaps, even though progressing out of Costa Rica's group would still be very tough.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Had been hoping we'd draw England this time around, if for nothing else then the massive rivalry, as N00fers said. Te draw we have is a nightmare. We'll be lucky to salvage a point.
    Nate likes this.

I feel as though we are up against the best team from each pool. The killer is having Chile, if say it was Cameroon or perhaps Algeria, we play them first up and getting 3 points from that game would apply heaps of pressure on Spain+Netherlands. This way, its likely that Chile supporters will have those thoughts if they can beat Australia.

International Coach
    Haha just seen the whole draw. Australia's group is ridiculous.
    Nate likes this.

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Thread Information