• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Lawrenson on BBC Radio 5 live:
"Unstoppable, absolutely unstoppable. Konoplianka just cut inside and curled it away from Joe Hart. That all came when England give the ball away again, Joleon Lescott the culprit this time, but Ukraine moved the ball quickly and the finish was decisive.

"It is no more than Ukraine deserve and yet arguably England have had the best chance of the lot. Every time I see Lescott play, he always makes a mistake. But that was a brilliant finish and Joe Hart was nowhere near it.

Does this wanker get paid to comment on games he's not watching?

England have probably edged the play whilst Ukraine have had a number of sighters without them being great opportunities. England have actually kept the ball far better tonight than I've seen them do for a long time.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just shows why we have no chance of doing anything in the future as we have muppets like Milner and Cleverly in the side. Worrying that we still play the proven failed combination of Gerrard and Lampard, lets hope Wilshere is the same player when he eventually gets fit.

We will probably draw 1-1 and still go on to qualify easily enough but I know we stand bugger all chance of doing anything when the proper stuff arrives.

Uppercut

You don't half talk some **** flibberty. If you weren't around I'd be starting to miss roseboy.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Cleverley not really cut out for this really advanced role for me. Had a great position there, in behind and tons of space and he didn't even look up. Just belted it over everyone. One of the commentators from the other night said he hadn't scored yet for Manure. Did well to hit the keeper with the other chance obviously.
That would be my take on it. It looks plain enough that he could do a very good job in a deeper role for England, but no way is he going to do the role that's being asked of him. Surely Gerrard or Lampard would be better there, wouldn't they?

That being said, I've just got back home and found us trailing, so what have I missed?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This England midfield is rubbish. No shape whatsoever.

ITV commentary doing my head in as usual as well: "Gerrard couldn't have closed him down quicker". Yes, probably true, but only because he left his man in the first place and had far too much ground to make up to close the shot down.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

You don't half talk some **** flibberty. If you weren't around I'd be starting to miss roseboy.
So what have I said that is wrong there, we are an ordinary side and I know that. The thing is once we qualify the press will whip the idiots into a frenzy and many will think we will have a chance of winning the darn thing. Just about qualifying is our limit with blokes like Milner and Cleverly in the side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That would be my take on it. It looks plain enough that he could do a very good job in a deeper role for England, but no way is he going to do the role that's being asked of him. Surely Gerrard or Lampard would be better there, wouldn't they?

That being said, I've just got back home and found us trailing, so what have I missed?
I'd say Gerrard is best used where he is now. Always felt we missed a trick having him sit deeper when he was at his peak, but I wouldn't put him there now. Lampard, maybe.

flibbertyjibber

I'd say Gerrard is best used where he is now. Always felt we missed a trick having him sit deeper when he was at his peak, but I wouldn't put him there now. Lampard, maybe.
It was ludicrous not playing him further up when he was younger and had the legs to get about more.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I just feel that we're short of goal scoring options with the current formation and that Cleverley's being played out of position. That being said, you're probably right about Gerrard.

Uppercut

I think Gerrard's having a really good game tonight tbh. Lamps at the point of triangle where he plays for Chelsea with Cleverly deeper would make a lot more sense to me too.

flibbertyjibber

I just feel that we're short of goal scoring options with the current formation and that Cleverley's being played out of position. That being said, you're probably right about Gerrard.
Hardly blessed with a load of quality strikers but playing Defoe as the only one is a little strange as he is hardly the sort of player you would imagine as a lone front man.

flibbertyjibber

I think Gerrard's having a really good game tonight tbh. Lamps at the point of triangle where he plays for Chelsea with Cleverly deeper would make a lot more sense to me too.
Yeah, maybe I am being harsh on Cleverly, he just looks all at sea playing so far forward against a decent side with good technical ability. Given away too many cheap free kicks too in desperation after losing the ball. Having a mare tonight.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah agree, could have done better for the goal but his passing and movement has been quality. Been easily our best player under Hodgson.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hardly blessed with a load of quality strikers but playing Defoe as the only one is a little strange as he is hardly the sort of player you would imagine as a lone front man.
Not least because his conversion rate is so low, unless his club side are putting eight past some no-hopers from the relegation zone. Not sure who else we've got though. I suppose we'll get to see Welbeck at some point tonight, but he doesn't inspire me with much confidence tbh..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gerrard might be having a reasonable game, but that shouldn't disguise the fact that the midfield on the whole has been very poor imo. It's like there just isn't a midfield at times. The fact that Defoe is repeatedly having to come deep, despite being the lone striker, to collect the ball on the half-way line from one of the fullbacks just shows how rubbish its been so far today.

Should bring on Carrick imo, need someone who can just sit in the middle of the pitch and pass it around. Seems like none of the players on at the moment can do this, they're all determined just to run around all over the place and get forward all the time.

Uppercut

Defoe replacing Welbeck would make more sense to me. Welbeck drops deep and helps you control the game from the start but I'm not sure what you get from bringing him on late in the game. Defoe's great at getting goals out of nothing against a tiring defence. Got more goals from the bench than any other player last season iirc.