• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No cutting edge, in danger of sounding like yer typical half-arsed pundit as I am.

Meanwhile I see the Nips beat Belgium 3-2. Dunno what kinda team yer Sprouts put out, but a genuinely noteworthy result for Japan. Has Asian football finally properly cracked it?

& by "properly cracked it", I mean without the help of bent referring as per South Korea making the 2002 semis.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd say they are limited Furball. Don't really create any natural length, and, with the use of a false number nine, mean Germany were trying to play about four number 10's.

Bit like Arsenal when there's no Walcott or Podolksi. Not bad as such, but limited in their style of play.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I love how Ronaldo v Zlatan turned out to be quite simply; Ronaldo v Zlatan.

That was an incredible ten minutes though. Four goals in two of the biggest international matches imaginable. And who says he's not a big game player?
He's been consistent against all sorts of opposition for the past 2-3 yrs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No cutting edge, in danger of sounding like yer typical half-arsed pundit as I am.

Meanwhile I see the Nips beat Belgium 3-2. Dunno what kinda team yer Sprouts put out, but a genuinely noteworthy result for Japan. Has Asian football finally properly cracked it?

& by "properly cracked it", I mean without the help of bent referring as per South Korea making the 2002 semis.
Japan have always been a decent side lacking a cutting edge. Now they've got Kagawa and Honda, they'll be dangerous to anyone who underestimates them.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. It was the wrong decision but just minutes prior they had scored a goal that was clearly onside so I guess in that sense justice was served.

France were just brilliant. Sakho MOTM.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Probably just Japan have 'cracked' it, not sure is much after them.

Worth noting that Belgium also lost to Colombia last week, they have undoubtedly got lots of good players but maybe not quite what they are beng made out to be by some.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The impression I got from Germany was that they really couldn't be bothered tonight.
Yeah, pipe & slippers job really. Kept us out without breaking into a sweat most of time, and still created the best chances. Reminds me of when I could still share a pitch with my lad a few years ago - kept it interesting as long as we wanted to keep him out doors for a bit, then knocked in the winner when I wanted to go home for tea.

Given that their absentees >>>>> our absentees, it says quite a lot about what;'s been going on in both countries over the last 12 years or so.

Funny game for Hart btw. Some terrific saves, but also the brain fart when he clattered Smalling 40 yards from goal for no apparent reason.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We have a pretty decent record of getting out of the group once we're there (never failed in my lifetime, nor yours, I'd guess) but yeah, as soon as anyone half decent crosses (ha) our path we're buggered.

Didn't offer much, tbf.

Was a typically Teutonically efficient job. Soaked up what we offered (which was Fanny Adams, really) and took their chance well.

They're an oddly likable bunch, Jerry.

That'll change once they start winning tournaments.

As for our boys in Brazil, am I right in thinking that Portugal, France and other qualifiers will be in the 3rd pot? Depends on the draw, obviously, but I think this will be the first time I've seen them not make it past the group stage. The fact that they always have done since the 1950s is something of a statistical oddity imo. Better teams have slipped up before now.

Pothas

That'll change once they start winning tournaments.

As for our boys in Brazil, am I right in thinking that Portugal, France and other qualifiers will be in the 3rd pot? Depends on the draw, obviously, but I think this will be the first time I've seen them not make it past the group stage. The fact that they always have done since the 1950s is something of a statistical oddity imo. Better teams have slipped up before now.
Think it is just France, the other winners from Euro play-offs will be in same pot as England. Still they could get a group of say Brazil, France and Japan. Or it could be something like Switzerland, Algeria and Hondurus. They will probably make heavy work of any group but fancy them for another second round exit.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Japan were decent back in WC 2002 as well. They were just unlucky to draw Turkey who were surprisingly good at that point.

They were really hard done by in the last WC as well. Bloody Denmark.

Pothas

Beat Denmark didn't they? Lost to Paraguay on penalties I seem to remember. Speaking of Paraguay, probably the most regular side of recent times missing from this one, not a huge loss it has to be said.

Can't wait for the draw now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Beat Denmark didn't they? Lost to Paraguay on penalties I seem to remember. Speaking of Paraguay, probably the most regular side of recent times missing from this one, not a huge loss it has to be said.

Can't wait for the draw now.
Oh yeah, that was it. I think I get the two games mixed up as they were both fairly tedious affairs.

Edit: Actually the Denmark one wasn't that bad. I just can't remember properly.

Pothas

Yeah can't remember a single thing about that Paraguay game apart from that it went to penalties. Hope Japan go well this time round anyway, always liked them since that Russia game back in 2002, chances are they will get a tough group though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah .I hope they do well, have always liked them. I remember us watching quite a few of their games at the 2002 WC, when Inamoto kept scoring all their goals.

I can still remember as clear as day a moment when one of Russia's forwards, Beschastnykh I think it was, went round Japan's keeper, lost all composure and booted the ball into the side netting.