• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope they do as well, although imagine they would get destroyed by a top side. Where they play their group games will be important as well, going to be really hot in the north so will want to avoid that.

grecian

Deserved second. Poland didn't seem to care much for stealing a draw.

I really hope they play like this at the World Cup. Wouldn't be bringing Walcott back in when he's fit, unless they're going with one up front, and I'd take Baines over Cole too. Hopefully Carrick has his place now too but you never know.
Yeah, agree with all that really, but would hope we lose one of Sturridge or Wellbeck and put in someone like Wilshere. Don't think we'll be able to play this system in Brazil. Yet Townsend deserves to start.

Scaly piscine

Hopefully Rooney will have that "hmm I'm 25 yards out, central, I'll now run sideways until 3-4 defenders are in front of me and thread the ball through their boots" bollocks coached out of him in the next 7-8 months, along with the "I'll just reduce by chances of scoring by a factor of 1000 and go for a chip shot".

Scaly piscine

Yeah, agree with all that really, but would hope we lose one of Sturridge or Wellbeck and put in someone like Wilshere. Don't think we'll be able to play this system in Brazil. Yet Townsend deserves to start.
Sturridge deserves to play, he's lively and looks like scoring. Welbeck missed two absolute sitters tonight, if he's not taking chances then he doesn't add a whole lot else in the position he plays.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Surprisingly good performance by England, as opposed to the boring rubbish that is often served up. Very enjoyable match full stop.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprisingly good performance by England, as opposed to the boring rubbish that is often served up. Very enjoyable match full stop.
Shame it wasn't a friendly or we'd have enjoyed that even more. One of the best England international games i've seen in ages. Bloody nervy at times though.

Scaly piscine

Thought England returned to old habits for about 15-20 minutes in the second half. Too many players dropping deep to receive the ball, only one outlet up front, the ball inevitably being lost in bad areas. At least they were smart enough to do good professional fouls to stop the resultant break.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Thought England returned to old habits for about 15-20 minutes in the second half. Too many players dropping deep to receive the ball, only one outlet up front, the ball inevitably being lost in bad areas. At least they were smart enough to do good professional fouls to stop the resultant break.
Yeah I would still certainly agree with this, the second half as a whole was nothing like as good as the first half performance. Still, overall, very impressive I thought.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sturridge deserves to play, he's lively and looks like scoring. Welbeck missed two absolute sitters tonight, if he's not taking chances then he doesn't add a whole lot else in the position he plays.
Really ?

His Workrate is excellent on the left as his pressing. He links up well and can carry the ball from defence into midfield well too with his pace.

He is also getting into more and more dangerous positions drifting in now too.

You want to play Sturridge wide left instead ? Btw, he missed a sitter too but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

grecian

Let's face it this qualification very much down to the Milner,

celebrate man you deserve it:cool:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
USA saved Mexico this time with 92 and 93rd minute goals ironically enough. One of them coming from a Mexican American.

Just about scrape through with all sorts of drams to the playoffs vs New Zealand.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say fair play to Chile and Ecuador. Would've put good money on them playing out the draw that would've guaranteed (boo, hiss) U-r-gay were condemned to the play off.

As it happens the defeated Ecuadorians pipped the ever hard to love Uruguayans on goal diff anyway.

Pothas

USA saved Mexico this time with 92 and 93rd minute goals ironically enough. One of them coming from a Mexican American.

Just about scrape through with all sorts of drams to the playoffs vs New Zealand.
They are trying ridiculously hard not to qualify. Be great if New Zealand beat them.

fredfertang

The first WC I watched as a littl'un was 1970. I was struck then by how tedious Mexico were, and I can honestly say that in all the years that have passed since then I've never been given cause to reconsider that assessment

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember them beating Italy in 2002 with Jared Borgetti's miraculous header. Always quite liked them since that.

They're a bit of an anti-England, in that they're patient and can pass well but do everything else very badly. The Mexico vs. Portugal game in the Simpsons wasn't far from reality.