• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why didn't they wait until after the Euros to do the seedings?

Lots of awkward trips in England's group but as Scaly says, they'll all take points off each other. Ireland got a filthy deal with Germany and Sweden and Netherlands got an absolute bye.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess it's a combination of the lack of time to arrange all the fixtures within 6 weeks or so and the fact the qualifiers are already in full swing in other federations,

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Lots of awkward trips in England's group but as Scaly says, they'll all take points off each other. Ireland got a filthy deal with Germany and Sweden and Netherlands got an absolute bye.
Really don't think Sweden are all that..

Athlai

Not Terrible
Who is expected to come 4th in the North/ Central America pools? USA and Mexico are a class above aren't they?

Pothas

Yeah it will probably be a Central American nation, maybe Costa Rica or Honduras. Jamaica and possibly even Canada outside chances as well.

New Zealand probably a good chance aganst any of them.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Did away with that rule about a decade ago, IIRC. I think Brazil were the first reigning champs who had to qualify after they won in 2002.
Yeah, was scrapped after France made a complete meal of things in the defence of their title. Still remember watching that game against Senegal at a mate's house during lunch break at school. Those were the days.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Really don't think Sweden are all that..
They were dire in that friendly against England but they crushed in qualifying. They're probably the worst second-seeded team to get, maybe only France would be worse, not sure. And obviously Germany are a nightmare.

Croatia and Serbia in the same group should be interesting.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think everyone's missing the big news in the Oceania First Round, where American Samoa (they of 31-0 reverse) have actually beaten Tonga.

Jarquis

They were dire in that friendly against England but they crushed in qualifying. They're probably the worst second-seeded team to get, maybe only France would be worse, not sure. And obviously Germany are a nightmare.

Croatia and Serbia in the same group should be interesting.
Yeah, I'd much rather face Sweden as opposed to France by such a margin that it makes me wonder whether I've missed something. Probably have them in a similar bracket to Turkey and Russia etc.

Group A looks really good IMO, Croatia, Serbia, Belgium and maybe Wales are all capable of pulling results.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, I'd much rather face Sweden as opposed to France by such a margin that it makes me wonder whether I've missed something. Probably have them in a similar bracket to Turkey and Russia etc.

Group A looks really good IMO, Croatia, Serbia, Belgium and maybe Wales are all capable of pulling results.
:(

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sweden a tricky side imo. Nothing particularly exciting or threatening about them, but they always seem to put out teams which are quite well disciplined and drilled, making them hard to beat. It's interesting actually how they always seem to have players who look pretty solid whilst playing for Sweden, but then go back and play like absolute dogs at club level (Teddy Lucic, lolbad).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Right, enough of this Eurotrash, time for England to win one :ph34r:

But seriously. Dug this up because after that performance it's hard to look past Spain scooping another trophy, or it would be if it wasn't for Brazil. Euros have been very good and I have high hopes that we could get a really good WC.

England side for the qualifiers?

Hart, Johnson, Lescott, Cole, Gerrard & Rooney the only certs for retention IMO.

flibbertyjibber

Might have a little bet on Belgium to win Group A in the Euro qualifiers if I can find some decent odds. Got an abundance of talent at their disposal that has been wasted in the last few years. About time they clicked and qualified for a tournament again.

Spain to win the World Cup, just look too good and won't have lost many players in next 2 years anyway.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Well Germany will hopefully have an older Hummels and have ditched Badstuber, which should make a competent back line. Also seems like Argentina are stacking together a good team, beat Brazil in a friendly and put 4 past Ecuador in qualifying.

Unsure about Brazil...isn't their best player this Neymar bloke who definitely isn't as good as Messi?

grecian

Well the hosts were a bit rubbish in Euro2012, so we really should qualify easily.

Johnners

Right, enough of this Eurotrash, time for England to win one :ph34r:

But seriously. Dug this up because after that performance it's hard to look past Spain scooping another trophy, or it would be if it wasn't for Brazil. Euros have been very good and I have high hopes that we could get a really good WC.

England side for the qualifiers?

Hart, Johnson, Lescott, Cole, Gerrard & Rooney the only certs for retention IMO.
Welbeck as well imo.