• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I think this shows FIFA is a little more decentralized than it's portrayed at times though. Fairly obvious Blatter doesn't know what the hell he's supposed to do with this tournament.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What kind of "disruption" do you mean, though? They'll all need to take a one-off mid season break for the World Cup but it's the same for every team. What bad things are actually going to happen as a result? It's a genuine question. I'd like to come up with an excuse to keep the WC in the summer but I can't think of any.
To fit in a big enough break (say 2 months minimum) you need to extend the season - this will then have knock on effects on the season's either side of it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I gathered that, but why is it a problem? It's the same for every team in Europe, it's not handing anyone any advantage. There shouldn't be any more burn-out because players will still have the same amount of football to play. I literally can't think of a single adverse effect.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think this shows FIFA is a little more decentralized than it's portrayed at times though. Fairly obvious Blatter doesn't know what the hell he's supposed to do with this tournament.
Yeah, apparently Blatter was never keen on Qatar.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I gathered that, but why is it a problem? It's the same for every team in Europe, it's not handing anyone any advantage. There shouldn't be any more burn-out because players will still have the same amount of football to play. I literally can't think of a single adverse effect.
Dunno, I can see several reasons why teams wouldn't be especially keen to just break halfway through the season. Could potentially be a massive momentum killer for one. I also imagine, not actually got any evidence for this, that the domestic games played throughout the Christmas period are probably some of the most profitable for domestic clubs as well, in the UK at least. I'd certainly miss those games from a fan's pov anyway.

Above all else though, whilst one might argue there's no real reason for not holding the WC in winter, there aren't really a lot of incentives for domestic football bodies to bend over backwards to pander to the wishes of FIFA, and in particular, for a tournament, the handling of which to date has been a bit of a farce.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The whole thing is a huge balls up really. If the bid made by Qatar had originally suggested they would look to hold the tournament in the winter, then I would be less aggrieved with the whole thing. The fact that Blatter and his cronies are objecting to this time slot now, despite the fact that it was an explicit part of the Qatari proposal, just shows how badly this whole thing has been handled. Something has to give, because things staying as they are currently is totally unfeasible. But whatever FIFA choose to do, it will draw the ire of someone. What a mess.

Uppercut

Dunno, I can see several reasons why teams wouldn't be especially keen to just break halfway through the season. Could potentially be a massive momentum killer for one. I also imagine, not actually got any evidence for this, that the domestic games played throughout the Christmas period are probably some of the most profitable for domestic clubs as well, in the UK at least. I'd certainly miss those games from a fan's pov anyway.
It being a momentum killer isn't a bad thing, it's a neutral thing. If it's bad for one club that means it's good for another. It's a zero-sum game. I'd miss the Christmas games too but having a World Cup on instead would more than soften the blow. I'm not sure the losses would be significant, you'd expect there to be quite a lot of interest in decisive league games in early July.

It's one of those things I instinctively reacted against but when I thought about it, all of my objections were pretty lame. They might as well just move it to winter, it'll surely make for a better standard of football.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Relating to UC's point about it being a global event; if you always have it in European summer you remove a significant portion of the globe from ever hosting it. Is that fair?

Burgey

Relating to UC's point about it being a global event; if you always have it in European summer you remove a significant portion of the globe from ever hosting it. Is that fair?
Not really imo, because in most, if not all of the Southern Hemisphere countries which could realistically host it the summers are way too hot..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Should all be in Europe anyway aside from the odd token South American effort

:ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They're rank. Even if they made Townsend's favourites list he'd have trouble fellating them based on this performance.