Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Road to World Cup 2014

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    At his peak (04-08) Terry was actually pretty swift across the ground if memory serves me well -
    certainly no Rio, but he could more than hold his own in a sprint with most forwards.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Is it though? Without watching back footage of all his passes last season, I don't think anything can really be gleaned from this statistic. A semi-pro player might come out with a high pass completion rate at the end of a season if all he did was routinely play 5 yard lay-offs to his full-backs, after all.
    Yeah, but clearly that's not what he did. And you couldn't even, there isn't always an easy out-ball.

In part it shows how unwilling the team were to go long and how good the midfield were at picking the ball up off the defence. But he's also a very good passer. I guarantee you'll start to notice now that it's been pointed out.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 12-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I think the 'braveness' and 'self-sacrificing' compliments which get re-run in every commentary hide the fact that he's generally pretty good at reading the game, and is decent with the ball at his feet too. His high work-rate and his ability take responsibility in his team's 3rd has meant he has been one of the best defenders in the world during his peak. He won the UEFA club defender of the year award 3 times - more than anyone. Unpopular guy, but great defender.
    Last edited by Ikki; 12-09-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    ★★★★★

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Not sure if he's best in the Prem, but having said that I can't really think of any others I'd say were conclusively better than he is.
    I'd say Krul, Chesney and Friedel are the closest to him in terms of ability. After that I'm really struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, but clearly that's not what he did. And you couldn't even, there isn't always an easy out-ball.

In part it shows how unwilling the team were to go long and how good the midfield were at picking the ball up off the defence. But he's also a very good passer. I guarantee you'll start to notice now that it's been pointed out.
    He's got a decent left foot and can knock a long one.. but for each one of those there's a time he's been hopelessly slow or out of position and cost Chelsea. If one-piece-skull-Cech wasn't basically God with gloves on when he first game to Chelsea then he'd have cost them a lot more.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

I don't think it's clear at all actually. And maybe there isn't, but I didn't claim there was. In any event, I remember a few seasons back Eboue had one of the highest pass completion rates in the Champions League. Then someone actually looked into this in more detail, and found that something like 75% of his passes were made backwards to Kolo Toure, which rather demonstrates how this statistic can often be of limited value.

But very well, I'll make sure to pay closer attention to his general play in the near future.
    Last edited by sledger; 12-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Jeez. San Marino keeper just Schumachered Feo.

Walcott looks out for the count.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Yea, wondering how that wasn't a foul, for starters.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Oh and **** off Townsend, obviously. I'm wondering whether the number of times Rooney cocks something relatively simple up will be more or less than the number of excuses Townsend will make for Rooney after he cocks something relatively simple up.

Two average sides out there today, tbh.

England playing like strangers.

If we're going to lump long balls like that in why not play Carroll?

& **** me, bar from Carrick and post from Welbeck.

One of those nights...? Nope, pen.

Level with Lofthouse, Finney & Shearer now.

Not fit to lace their boots tho, obvz.

EDIT: Eff off Tyldsley, I said it first...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Finding it harder to dislike England now that they've resorted to just picking United's team.

Ireland are ****.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    If we're going to lump long balls like that in why not play Carroll?
    Plus Carroll would also hold the ball up rather better than Welbeck. Nice goal by DB and all that, but he seems to spend most of the game with the ball bouncing off him. Ditto Lennon. Ditto Walker, whose given a pretty convincing case for Glen Johnson remaining a fixture in the side. You just want Carrick, or Cleverley, or Rooney, or someone to put their foot on the ball occasionally.

BBC4's Squeeze programme is looking more appealing by the minute.

And yes, the keeper should have gone for that assault on Walcott.

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information