• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes to Olympics that you's like to see

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The one change I would make is I would run the Men's marathon at the same time as the closing ceremony and not provide any footage of it - and just provide 10km updates on who was winning - and then in the middle of the closing ceremony have the athletes run in to complete the race. The marathon is THE olympic event and should have a special place.

My usual beef is that there is too much gymnastics but this year by having 4 channels on TV I didn't have to watch any of it.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What stupid rules?

UIMM the "anti-favourite crap" is referring to the mens road race where apparently the whole world conspired against Team GB who were supposed to just have a nice ride around the park and Cavendish would then stroll across the line in first such was their might and power.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No he's referring to the rules that say any nation can enter one rider in each even in the track cycling, or else GB would have won loads more medals.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can someone explain to me which sports actually have a distinction between amateur and professional other than boxing and golf?

Scaly piscine

No he's referring to the rules that say any nation can enter one rider in each even in the track cycling, or else GB would have won loads more medals.
Yes it doesn't make sense when it's an individual sport. The best 3 individuals should be there to take out the medals regardless of their nationality.

But I also meant the stuff like the road cycling where GB got shafted and the points race in the omnium, where a bunch of no-hopers generally end up lapping the rest of the field. I'm glad it got removed as an individual event.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's in every sport though, not just Roids on Wheels. Only two swimmers slowed from each country, as an example

Scaly piscine

That's in every sport though, not just Roids on Wheels. Only two swimmers slowed from each country, as an example
Last time I checked two > one.

Lots of the sports have two or more. Outdoor cycling, diving, triathlon, badminton, archery, gymnastics, canoeing etc.

Obviously Australia won't want two or more because only the athletes that get medals will be allowed to live above the breadline.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last time I checked, two still limits a country's chances of winning medals.

Over 200 Kenyans ran the Olympic qualifying time for the marathon, as an example. They could have had their own race.

Interesting comment about the bread line. You wouldn't be scoring too many economic medals ATM mate.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Should be three max, like athletics, in all sports. I can understand why they limit it in swimming though, because they have a lot to get through.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Chess isn't a sport. Fails on the "Stephen Hawking test".

If Prof Hawking can beat you in competition the game being played is purely mental and sport, by definition, has to have a physical aspect.

Think Squash is a dire spectator sport, ftr. The playing area means it just isn't very conducive to television coverage.

cpr

International Coach
One for the Paralympics?

Having said that, Hawking test probably not valid for Olympic events, as the Olympic Charter bans sports with elements of motorisation....