• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes to Olympics that you's like to see

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd like future Olympics to bring in a no-George Michael rule. Whole thing has been ruined.

Only if the Liam Gallagher rumours are true can these Olympics now be saved.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chess isn't a sport ffs, most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.

Reckon you'd get plenty of big names playing golf ftr.
Of course it isn't.

"Come on kids, we're off to the wonen's 4x100m chess final!!!

Oh, and I've packed some Brusselsprouts and asparagus for lunch".

What a ****ing joke.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Problem with sports like Kabaddi is its not universally popular. IOC state a sports got to have a certain percentage of worldwide coverage to appear - could be something that keeps cricket out even if it wanted to, as competitely it struggles to offer more than 10-12 nations in the shorter format
There are plenty of sports already in the olympics though that fall in the same category and Kabaddi has over 35 registered nation teams now. The problem is not how many countries there are though, but which countries moreso. For example a sport popular in USA is about 100 times more likely to be included than one in India and a 1000 than one in Africa.

With the way they are wanting to include sports based on TV revenue with India's share ever rising and Olympics becoming more popular here won't be surprised to see cricket in 2020 or 2024 depending on which city gets the bid.

And as for Kabaddi it has already made it to the CW and Asian games IIRC, more based on it being viewer friendly so won't be surprised if it is included in the 4/5 games here too and then takes off as a result in a lot more countries.

Last edited:

Burgey

I'd like future Olympics to bring in a no-George Michael rule. Whole thing has been ruined.

Only if the Liam Gallagher rumours are true can these Olympics now be saved.
Too late. Elbow has played.

Hopefully the kids aren't drinking the Kool Aid.

I know I would.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody would watch Chess. It has 0 crowd appeal to 99.99% of people.
I thought the same, but the Rapid format at the Asian games got pretty good attention and also the world championships are covered more than most sports. It won't be the best commercially but certainly won't be the worst either.

Edit - Plus, i only included in the list of maybe's.

Last edited:

Burgey

I thought the same, but the Rapid format at the Asian games got pretty good attention and also the world championships are covered more than most sports. It won't be the best commercially but certainly won't be the worst either.

Edit - Plus, i only included in the list of maybe's.
You're ****ting me? Chess ffs. Admirable past time but it's not a sport.

cpr

International Coach
There are plenty of sports already in the olympics though that fall in the same category and Kabaddi has over 35 registered nation teams now. The problem is not how many countries there are though, but which countries moreso. For example a sport popular in USA is about 100 times more likely to be included than one in India and a 1000 than one in Africa.
Has to be played by men in 75 different countries over 4 continents (official regulated leagues of course - can't count a game down the pub!)

A lot of the sports you refer to (popular in America) will tend to have official federations in enough countries to qualify - just not anywhere near the standard of the yanks (I'm looking at you Basketball), hence why they are in

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Don't think Chess should be included in the Olympics. Although I would rather have Chess than that circus act that is called Rhythm Gymnastics.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well it's two-fold:

There was nothing wrong with his performance, no shame in not signing like you're 22 when you're pushing 40 and have lived like him. He sang very well anyway IMO

Secondly, regardless of who wrote it, it wouldn't be like the most famous song of the 90s but for him singing it in the first place

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of the announcements being made in French first. Bollocks to that.

Quite happy to see more sports like kabaddi, squash etc. included. Trim down the swimming program, slightly more longer distance cycling but none of the anti-favourite crap. Less bollocks like 'walking', dressage etc.

I don't have a problem with sports where a score has to be awarded by judges.

I'd like to see a bit more intelligence going into some of the formats. Such as the BMX lottery. If something is a lottery it shouldn't be included. That goes for some of the shooting as well where the margins are so small it's mathematically about tossing a coin between 10-15 people (like where it's 100 shots and they hit 99).

Last edited:

morgieb

Diving, gymnastics, dressage, synchronised swimming - all gone. Their scoring systems are entirely subjective so aren't even real sports.

Walking - gone. Just feck off, yeah? As Johnners said all the skinny wankers break into a trot when they think no-one's watching anyway, so there's literally no point.

Football - would actually keep as is. In most countries the distinction between amatuer and professional no longer exists, so would be impossible to administer in practical terms. It's all a bit ****, frankly, but (apparently) gets the best viewing figures, so it stays.

T20 & Rugby 7s
- come on down. A shot in the arm for both parent sports for gospel-spreading purposes and the smaller countries would be better able to compete in the abbreviated formats, so won't be quite as many arseholings.
ftr, Rugby 7s are gonna be in Rio anyway.