• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes to Olympics that you's like to see

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Players get paid quite a long way down the pyramid in England. Lad I work with plays for Kings Lynn Town (newly formed after Kings Lynn FC went bust; some probs are universal), who're in the Northern Premier League Div One South & four promotions away from the league (Northern Premier - Conference North/South - Conference - Div 3) and he gets paid to play.

Imagine South & Central America has a lot to do with that. They go divvy for it over there, apparently.
Yeah and USA and Canada went mental for the fanny-side of the sport. all worth it for Hope Solo and Alex Morgan though.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah and USA and Canada went mental for the fanny-side of the sport. all worth it for Hope Solo and Alex Morgan though.
To be honest, the fact that it was against the US, is the only reason why people here even gave a ****.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
* archery
* badminton
* basketball
* beach volleyball
* boxing
* canoe / kayak
* cycling
* diving
* equestrian - Horses should get medals. Particularly in dressage.
* fencing
* field hockey
* gymnastics
* handball
* judo - Too technical, and seems strange to include this over other such sports.Also one japanese sport is enough.:p
* modern pentathlon
* rowing
* sailing
* shooting
* soccer / football - Viewing figures would be good, but u-23 at the olympics just doesn't seem right.
* swimming
* synchronized swimming
* table tennis
* taekwondo
* tennis
* track and field
* triathlon (swimming, biking, running)
* volleyball
* water polo
* weightlifting
* wrestling

Realistically would like the above Bolded sports go. Not a fan of including Golf and Rugby 7's next time either. Big names etc.. won't come particularly in golf and that doesn't sit right at the olympics + a massive course is needed for it.

Would include some Cue Sports(Pool,Billiards,Snooker) & Squash certainly and also maybe Chess,Kabaddi + other sports where olympics would be the pinnacle.

Edit- Might also remove some of the other individual events like the walk(Nobody does walk anyway), Sychronised diving ETC...

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Also another thing i don't like is in the medal charts a team gold is equal to one individual gold. Seems a bit odd when one guy can go and win 7 gold's etc.. and a whole team after a full tournament has no possible chance of coming close to that. Also means certain sports hog all the medals while others are left with 3/4.

Not sure how to address it, but maybe give team medal's more weightage depending on size of the team etc.. 4/5.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also another thing i don't like is in the medal charts a team gold is equal to one individual gold. Seems a bit odd when one guy can go and win 7 gold's etc.. and a whole team after a full tournament has no possible chance of coming close to that. Also means certain sports hog all the medals while others are left with 3/4.

Not sure how to address it, but maybe give team medal's more weightage depending on size of the team etc.. 4/5.
No.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Cevno what possible justification is there to get rid of sailing and including pool/chess? Seems a rather daft suggestion IMO.

Don't get why everyone is hating on diving, I find it really compelling to watch. They are insanely skilled, especially the synchro.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cevno what possible justification is there to get rid of sailing and including pool/chess? Seems a rather daft suggestion IMO.

Don't get why everyone is hating on diving, I find it really compelling to watch. They are insanely skilled, especially the synchro.
The problem I've got with sports like diving is the subjectiveness of it. I agree it's great to watch.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, did that copy past job on my phone and left Sailing bolded by mistake. It's a pretty limited sport i would think in terms of nations involved, so it's debateable like a few others i also left out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Chess isn't a sport ffs, most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.

Reckon you'd get plenty of big names playing golf ftr.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The closing ceremony is meant to be a celebration, so piss off the suicide-inducing dirge that is Elbow.

Way to send the world home on Prozac.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Chess isn't a sport ffs, most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.

Reckon you'd get plenty of big names playing golf ftr.
Chess is a mind sport, imo. Played all around the world and Is already there in the asian games IIRC. Can be pretty good viewing.

And remember golf being included in one of the Asian or CW games before and half the bigger names dropped out even there. Can see the same happening for Olympics particularly those from bigger sporting countries.

cpr

International Coach
Problem with sports like Kabaddi is its not universally popular. IOC state a sports got to have a certain percentage of worldwide coverage to appear - could be something that keeps cricket out even if it wanted to, as competitely it struggles to offer more than 10-12 nations in the shorter format