• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Least/most valuable gold medal disciplines

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For those that don't believe all golds are equal.

I always thought a decathlon (or hepathlon) was one of the most valuable thing to win.

At the other end is handball (such a ****e sport) and all things equestrian. But particularly dressage, even though we won a gold medal in it.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** the decathlon and heptathlon. They're pointless. Jack of all trades but master of none.

Burgey

I've always thought sailing was the most important gold medal.

Facilitates trade between nations. :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Football the least valuable, youth tournament.

I thought I'd feel differently once we played but watching us was like meh.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Squash should definitely be an event in the Olympics. It's such an intense game, even more than tennis.

Dressage is useless, and the dozens of swimming events make winning a medal less valuable.

Burgey

I find the existence of athletics races between 100m - 42km really cheapens them. Having the hurdles cheapens athletics too, as do the decathlon and heptathlon because they include so many disciplines over different distances.

:blink:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Shooting is just stupid, there is no athletic dimension to it. At least with archery you still need decent upper body strength to maintain accuracy whilst drawing the bow.

BMX can go and get ****ed too, even if we are likely to medal.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find the existence of athletics races between 100m - 42km really cheapens them. Having the hurdles cheapens athletics too, as do the decathlon and heptathlon because they include so many disciplines over different distances.

:blink:
I would quite like to see the hundred metres backwards run and the hundred metres flail your arms around as much as humanly possible run as well. Would be even better over 10,000m distance.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
BMX is pretty ****ing difficult tbf.
So is walking for 20 km at the same speed that most people run. It still shouldn't be in the olympics.

Also all of the swimming save the freestyle should get the flick. Imagine having separate track races for hoppers, skippers and people who run backwards.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Whilst I don't neccesarily disagree with you at all, why should BMX not be in the olympics but track cycling should? I mean, track cycling is ****ing ********. They don't even properly race ffs. They ride around slowly in ****ing lycra, it's like ballroom dancing for pushbikes.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst I don't neccesarily disagree with you at all, why should BMX not be in the olympics but track cycling should? I mean, track cycling is ****ing ********. They don't even properly race ffs. They ride around slowly in ****ing lycra, it's like ballroom dancing for pushbikes.
Probably a fair point, though I suppose track cycling at least has the advantage that the goal of it is to go as fast as you physically can on a bike. Still, the Kieran has to be one of the most ridiculous things you'll ever see in sport.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Shooting is just stupid, there is no athletic dimension to it. At least with archery you still need decent upper body strength to maintain accuracy whilst drawing the bow.

BMX can go and get ****ed too, even if we are likely to medal.
One of my teachers was a shooter in the Commonwealth Games a while ago (think she medalled, as well).

Based on what she's said, it sounds surprisingly demanding and difficult.

I agree that squash should be in the Games. Fun sport to play.

On the topic of Dressage, I made the obvious 'its just walking around in a square' joke to my now ex-girlfriend (events unrelated). Owning a horse herself, she proceeded to explain exactly why it isn't as easy as it looks. Doesn't require as much physical fitness per se, however it involves ridiculous skill, effort, time and money. The latter two proving why the Royal Family is so good at it.

As for the question, anything Australia doesn't win :ph34r:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The equestrian events always feel like a farce to me, since what horse you have is such a massive variable.

I'm a big boxing fan but the amateur stuff is dodgy because different judges like different styles/things, so a huge factor is which judges you end up drawing.

100 metre sprint is obviously the most prestigious.

Also handball is a ****ing brilliant sport, how can you diss it. So underrated

Last edited: