• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Least/most valuable gold medal disciplines

Athlai

Not Terrible
Weightlifting should only be for most weight IMO. Fatties don't get a weight class for gymnastics or running so why should little bastards get their own class for weightlifting.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Pretty embarrassing to be known as the quickest walker in the world, cos everyone else will just run to even the playing field.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the walking should be given a different tack. Set all the competitors off, and the last man standing wins. See how far they can walk without stopping.

Seeing most of the men collapse at the end of the 50km race shows how hard "race walking" is on the body, but yeah, it looks pretty silly.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The problem i have with walking is despite them disqualifying some, pretty much everyone basically is running anyways. 7ou can see it too when they show the slow mo's.

They just run in a weird fashion.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's walking as long as one foot is on the ground at any one point. It becomes running when both come off the ground (learnt this from Malcolm in Middle, so don't know how accurate it is).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cevbro is right. On the slow mos both feet are usually in the air.

I favour heef's idea - just deprive them of water or any form of sustenance and see who can go the longest. There is another test for walking and it is something to do with when you straighten your leg?

At track and field day they used to have walking - only idiots competed in it or at least to take it seriously anyway - there would always be 2 or 3 stoners who would choose it as their compulsory event and just dawdle around the track for 800 metres.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sailing and equestrian. piss off. You don't see many Ethiopians or Kenyans in those events. Rich people's bull**** leisure pursuits, not really sports. And they are so boring to watch. Boats sailing and horses prancing around. Not for me.

I think the Olympics are mostly about the individual human's pursuit of athletic excellence, therefore the main Olympic events to me are:

Athletics- who can run the fastest over various distances and throw stuff the furthest and jump longest/highest.

Swimming- obviously fits the criteria same as athletics, but dead set boring to watch.

Stuff like weightlifting- who can lift the heaviest thing etc.

Archery/shooting- who is the most accurate etc.

Gymastics- it can be kind of subjective, but good to watch.

A lot of the other stuff seems stupid. As good as it is to watch the Dream Team, it's obvious they'll win most gold medals. And sports like tennis already have Wimbledon and fifty other comps every year. It's hardly the pinnacle of their sport, just an opportunity for a great player to get another medal.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah ****.

'I walked 50km faster than anyone else' - not an achievement when it would have been quicker to run.
While I agree with this, again I don't see how walking is any different in this respect to breaststroke/backstroke/butterfly in the swimming and you rarely hear people calling for those events to get canned.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sailing and equestrian. piss off. You don't see many Ethiopians or Kenyans in those events. Rich people's bull**** leisure pursuits, not really sports. And they are so boring to watch. Boats sailing and horses prancing around. Not for me.

I think the Olympics are mostly about the individual human's pursuit of athletic excellence, therefore the main Olympic events to me are:

Athletics- who can run the fastest over various distances and throw stuff the furthest and jump longest/highest.

Swimming- obviously fits the criteria same as athletics, but dead set boring to watch.

Stuff like weightlifting- who can lift the heaviest thing etc.

Archery/shooting- who is the most accurate etc.

Gymastics- it can be kind of subjective, but good to watch.
To be fair, you don't see many poorer countries in the archery or weightlifting. Hell, you don't see many poor countries competing in the track events, save the Kenyans/Ethiopians in the long distance and the Jamaicans in the sprints.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
MAybe an extra skill set can be added to the race walking? They could be asked to juggle while walking for instance just to turn it into a complete farce instead of a partial farce.
Or race walking and dressage could be combined somehow.