Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 50 of 50

Thread: Triathlon Thread

  1. #46
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I'm not jealous of GB's success at all. It's a good thing to have a host nation do well. Would be crap if they didn't and a massive let down.

    Besides, I know you lot having watched you play sport for 40 plus years. You'll revert to mediocrity after a short period of doing well. It's your way
    Not sure we will in some of the Olympic sports as the lottery funding is being used wisely in many cases (Athletics, Rowing, Cycling and Sailing) and seeing as that money is from the public anyway then it is all good.

    Cricket we will as it all goes in cycles, look set to lose number 1 ranking after a year by the looks of it but we are still a good side.

  2. #47
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,650
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Not sure we will in some of the Olympic sports as the lottery funding is being used wisely in many cases (Athletics, Rowing, Cycling and Sailing) and seeing as that money is from the public anyway then it is all good.

    Cricket we will as it all goes in cycles, look set to lose number 1 ranking after a year by the looks of it but we are still a good side.
    Yeah the finding side of it is always interesting. The AOC are bitching about funding but they bitched after Sydney ffs. John Coates is saying its all the reason the swimming team underperformed, but you've got the sailing coach saying they've had the best prep ever.

    No doubt the funding helps but you've got to have the cattle. Swimmers bitching and moaning about underperforming. Based in WC times, Magnussen was the only one entitled to favoritism.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  3. #48
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah the finding side of it is always interesting. The AOC are bitching about funding but they bitched after Sydney ffs. John Coates is saying its all the reason the swimming team underperformed, but you've got the sailing coach saying they've had the best prep ever.

    No doubt the funding helps but you've got to have the cattle. Swimmers bitching and moaning about underperforming. Based in WC times, Magnussen was the only one entitled to favoritism.
    What has been the big shock is our gymnastics team, got 4 medals this time and the word is that the junior teams we have coming through are better than the current lot. Could be a strong team in 4 years time.

    Swimming we will never really excel at as it is such a minority sport over here, Adlington was a freak and even she is thinking of retiring now at 23.

  4. #49
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,650
    The random gold medals are often the best. In Atlanta Michael Diamond won in trap shooting on the first day. No one had heard of him. He's still around - gassed up yesterday in the final after leading all the way. Love a random medal in an obscure sport. Something like trampolining where no one has heard of anyone in it.


  5. #50
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The random gold medals are often the best. In Atlanta Michael Diamond won in trap shooting on the first day. No one had heard of him. He's still around - gassed up yesterday in the final after leading all the way. Love a random medal in an obscure sport. Something like trampolining where no one has heard of anyone in it.
    The lad who won the shooting gold for us was allegedly a fantastic young cricketer who got injured and took up shooting instead.

    Add in the Steve Redgrave future stars programme which one rower who got gold this time was part of 4 years ago never having rowed before. It the stories like that that amaze you. Our discus thrower tonight only took it up 2 years ago, he has no technique but is a monster of a guy (see if you can find his qualification throw, went about 30 metres about 6 feet off the ground) and qualified 4th.

    We seem to have most bases covered for the future as far as many Olympic sports are concerned, just the national sports of cricket, rugby and football may be harmed long term.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thread specificially for a player/purpose? Tendulkar?
    By Maximus0723 in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 02:25 AM
  2. The no stats thread
    By archie mac in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
  3. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •