Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: The Gentle Way and Tae Kwon Do Thread

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,555

    The Gentle Way and Tae Kwon Do Thread

    Judo, the Gentle Way, starts tonight.

    Personally don't think it's been the same since "Kegs" Rizliakov at Sydney in the asuper Heavyweights, but there we go.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867
    Should be awesome. Really looking forward to it.

    Top ippons 2012 - YouTube

    Also want to check out the women's Judo competition - I wonder how the competitor from Saudi Arabia is going to do. She doesn't have a black belt - she could be seriously hurt - she's going up against the world #13....
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #3
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,491
    Keen to give this a look. Who should I watch out for Burge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,555
    Mate I'm not really that up on Judo really. But if you're into stories behind competitions, Judoka Kayla Harrison from America has overcome a fair bit to get to the Games.

    Teddy Riner of France the big favourite for the men's heavyweight gold.


  5. #5
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Keen to give this a look. Who should I watch out for Burge?
    Just ignored me, didn't you.

    I really like the women's field, they are some fantastic technicians. Tomorrow the heavyweights (of both genders) are fighting. But if you're new to the sport, I would watch some of the lower weight classes - I think it's more fun.

    Naidangiin Tüvshinbayar won Gold in 2008, and he's been looking great this year. I would keep an eye on him.

  6. #6
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867
    Tomorrow is also when Wojdan Shahrkhani (Saudi Arabian fighter) will have her match -- she won't be in long but her match will be worth watching. She didn't qualify on merit so it's more for the symbolic importance than it being a close fight. Remember this is a country where women aren't even allowed to drive, let alone play sports.

    Hopefully this advances the women's rights movement a little bit in Saudi Arabia - they only relented because as the only country in the world who didn't let women compete, the IOC was threatening to kick them out from the olympics.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 02-08-2012 at 06:34 AM.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,221
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Just ignored me, didn't you.
    People had been waiting years for you to resign as a mod so they could put you on ignore.

  8. #8
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867

  9. #9
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,805
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Tomorrow is also when Wojdan Shahrkhani (Saudi Arabian fighter) will have her match -- she won't be in long but her match will be worth watching. She didn't qualify on merit so it's more for the symbolic importance than it being a close fight. Remember this is a country where women aren't even allowed to drive, let alone play sports.

    Hopefully this advances the women's rights movement a little bit in Saudi Arabia - they only relented because as the only country in the world who didn't let women compete, the IOC was threatening to kick them out from the olympics.
    thats great had no idea
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  10. #10
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867
    Anyone else watching the medal rounds right now?

  11. #11
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,221
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    If you thought hard enough about it, you'd realise that he couldn't ignore you anyway...

  12. #12
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867
    Whoa - what a beautiful looking throw there out of nowhere from Abigel! If you manage to get a few throws that clean on someone, you're in love with the sport forever.

  13. #13
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    If you thought hard enough about it, you'd realise that he couldn't ignore you anyway...

  14. #14
    International Captain Jacknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    6,236
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Anyone else watching the medal rounds right now?
    Yes been watching them on & off from the start, gutted for Gemma Gibbons especially after she took out the world champ in the previous round, still a silver is a amazing achievement for her.

  15. #15
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Mate I'm not really that up on Judo really. But if you're into stories behind competitions, Judoka Kayla Harrison from America has overcome a fair bit to get to the Games.

    Teddy Riner of France the big favourite for the men's heavyweight gold.
    And she wins gold!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •