• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Gentle Way and Tae Kwon Do Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Judo, the Gentle Way, starts tonight.

Personally don't think it's been the same since "Kegs" Rizliakov at Sydney in the asuper Heavyweights, but there we go.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Should be awesome. Really looking forward to it.

Top ippons 2012 - YouTube

Also want to check out the women's Judo competition - I wonder how the competitor from Saudi Arabia is going to do. She doesn't have a black belt - she could be seriously hurt - she's going up against the world #13....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate I'm not really that up on Judo really. But if you're into stories behind competitions, Judoka Kayla Harrison from America has overcome a fair bit to get to the Games.

Teddy Riner of France the big favourite for the men's heavyweight gold.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Keen to give this a look. Who should I watch out for Burge?
Just ignored me, didn't you. :(

I really like the women's field, they are some fantastic technicians. Tomorrow the heavyweights (of both genders) are fighting. But if you're new to the sport, I would watch some of the lower weight classes - I think it's more fun.

Naidangiin Tüvshinbayar won Gold in 2008, and he's been looking great this year. I would keep an eye on him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tomorrow is also when Wojdan Shahrkhani (Saudi Arabian fighter) will have her match -- she won't be in long but her match will be worth watching. She didn't qualify on merit so it's more for the symbolic importance than it being a close fight. Remember this is a country where women aren't even allowed to drive, let alone play sports.

Hopefully this advances the women's rights movement a little bit in Saudi Arabia - they only relented because as the only country in the world who didn't let women compete, the IOC was threatening to kick them out from the olympics.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
Tomorrow is also when Wojdan Shahrkhani (Saudi Arabian fighter) will have her match -- she won't be in long but her match will be worth watching. She didn't qualify on merit so it's more for the symbolic importance than it being a close fight. Remember this is a country where women aren't even allowed to drive, let alone play sports.

Hopefully this advances the women's rights movement a little bit in Saudi Arabia - they only relented because as the only country in the world who didn't let women compete, the IOC was threatening to kick them out from the olympics.
thats great had no idea

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whoa - what a beautiful looking throw there out of nowhere from Abigel! If you manage to get a few throws that clean on someone, you're in love with the sport forever.

Jacknife

International Captain
Anyone else watching the medal rounds right now?
Yes been watching them on & off from the start, gutted for Gemma Gibbons especially after she took out the world champ in the previous round, still a silver is a amazing achievement for her.

Flem274*

123/5
Wow, never realised how big some of these blokes are. They're ****ing giants.

Haha, ref telling them to put their belts on properly. Gun. Is that a common occurrence?

Just ignored me, didn't you. :(

I really like the women's field, they are some fantastic technicians. Tomorrow the heavyweights (of both genders) are fighting. But if you're new to the sport, I would watch some of the lower weight classes - I think it's more fun.

Naidangiin Tüvshinbayar won Gold in 2008, and he's been looking great this year. I would keep an eye on him.
I was too astonished you were outside your science thread box to find words frankly.:ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But well done to the British audience for the reception they gave her. She's not very good at this level but it's an important symbolic achievement.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brit through to the final after beating the world number 1/favourite. Last few seconds of the fight are absolute carnage.