• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stars of the games

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A thread to share your thoughts on the athletes that have impressed you as the games have gone on.

For me Missy Franklin has been the one so far. It was watching her qualify for a final then win a gold quarter of an hour later that really stood out. Incredible stuff.

I never watch swimming outside of the games, which is a shame as every four years I sit here thinking 'I'm gonna watch this more often' and then don't bother. Some of the best stories come from the pool, probably because there are so many swimmers who do multiple events and you can't help but be impressed by their endurance.

Hopefully a few Brits will appear in this thread as we go on but for me, Missy Franklin is what I'll remember most about these first few days.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ruta Meilutyte and Yen Shiwen for me, unheard of and come in and demolished the opposition. Not bad for 15 and 16 year olds.

Eds

International Debutant
Yen Shiewen is the stand-out candidate for me, so far. As you said, swimmers shine because the finals are so early, and they have so many events so early on.

Honourable mentions go to; Kim Un-Guk, Missy Franklin, Alexandre Vinokorouv, Cameron van der Burgh.

Last edited:

Burgey

Biggest disappointment so far has been God Save The Queen. Was expected to figure prominently but hasn't given a yelp yet.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Jamie Dwyer (hockey) and Kim Crow (rowing) have been excellent so far for Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
I actually have absolutely no recollection of what the Chinese national anthem sounds like.

Burgey

I do. Bloke in my old chambers brought me back a lighter from china with a pic of Mao on the side, and when you flicked the lid open it played the Chinese anthem.

One of the top five tasteless souvenirs I've ever been given.

Spikey

yeah, he must have known you'd already have that lighter, you goddamn red

Burgey

Always a good idea with work mates to get in the habit of tasteless souvenir giving when you get back from OS. We do it at work. Makes for a good laugh

Best I've ha so far is a set of toothpicks and Hors D'ouerves forks from Dubai which had little wooden camels on the top decorating them. My very own Mandela/ de Clerque salt and pepper shakers from SA a high light too.

flibbertyjibber

Bradley Wiggins - To destroy the field as easily as that is some effort.

That NZ rowing pair look amazing, could be the stand out performance of the games if they win as easily in the final.