• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Equestrian Sports Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why dressage as a sport? Can understand cross country and show jumping but what's its derivation and why is it still a thing?

Flem274*

123/5
It's probably the hardest of all three disciplines for me. The best dressage riders make the rest of us look like we're using sledgehammers instead of technique, and the riders have ridiculously strong cores.

Boring as ****ing bat**** to watch if you have nfi whats going on though, and even then its not something I sit down to watch unless I'm competing. Mark Todd said it best yesterday when he was asked to explain to the radio audience what's happening in dressage.

"I don't really know either Tony."

I can do an awesome and completely unintentional piaffe when my horse wants to go home and I won't let her though.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah but why is it a sport? Is it to demonstrate the finer points of horsemanship as opposed to the more easily seen things? I only ask because most of these sports have some military background, like athletics field events and, I imagine, jumping and cross country equestrian stuff too.

Does it cme from parade ground stuff I wonder?

Flem274*

123/5
You've pretty much got it. It's extremely advanced flatwork basically, that no combination will ever achieve as an eventer or showjumper because they have to focus on other skills. Every rider/horse starts with dressage and will continue to improve the standard of their dressage because all the other stuff like jumping, polo etc stem from it, so it's crucial.

Or you could troll it up and say they're too scared to jump. Many of them actually enter dressage for exactly that reason.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Yeah but why is it a sport? Is it to demonstrate the finer points of horsemanship as opposed to the more easily seen things? I only ask because most of these sports have some military background, like athletics field events and, I imagine, jumping and cross country equestrian stuff too.

Does it cme from parade ground stuff I wonder?
I don't care why it is a sport as we may get double gold in it. :laugh:

Boring as hell to watch, nice to watch one of them do it but then it all the same.

flibbertyjibber

I saw some of it, hadn't got a clue what was going on though. Looks like we have a chance of double gold by winning the individual as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Equestrians darkest hour.

Gunning for Lamaze to take out the individual showjumping. Skelton for silver. Anyone but the Saudis for bronze.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Equestrians darkest hour.

Gunning for Lamaze to take out the individual showjumping. Skelton for silver. Anyone but the Saudis for bronze.
Lamaze out of contention after a bad first apparently, 5 riders clear and within the time with seven to go. Will there be another jump off today?

Flem274*

123/5
Lamaze out of contention after a bad first apparently, 5 riders clear and within the time with seven to go. Will there be another jump off today?
The top 20 or something go through to the jump off. Missed the intro so not sure on the numbers but there will be a jump off.

Lamaze's new horse needs more time sadly. If he had Hickstead here he would be right up there but last year the poor bugger had a heart attack.

Skelton looks a class above here. Kevin Staut is having a shocker by his standards, Ahlmann was even worse and Germany have their C team out here and Lasink has had rails. Skelton and Ehning the two contenders for mine. I'm not too familliar with the Dutch though outside Gerco Shcroeder.

Saudis crashing out. Yesss.

Last edited: