• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official Boxing Thread****

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Normally enjoy the boxing but gave up yesterday as the scores weren't on show during the fight (try explaing to and 8 and 9 year old) yesterday. Waiting for the odd update from Richie Woodhall in commentary wasn't really good enough. Was this the same in other parts of the world?

I know there were time check problems in the road race as well, early glitches that need sorting out really.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind that, means you can try to guess who's doing better. More like a professional bout.

We best win at least 2 gold medals in the men's and 1 in the women's.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In boxing, I'm hoping for 2 medals at least (maybe from MC Mary Kom and Vijender Singh)...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have watched a few bouts and the standard has been generally crap

Maybe I'm being unfair because I watch a lot of pro boxing but the guys that I have seen really are rank "amateurs."

social

Just watched a bout between an Australian and a Bulgarian who is a former world champ

Going into the last round, the 29 yo Bulgarian was ahead by a point but was thoroughly dominated by a raw but talented 21 yo Aussie in the final stanza with the Brit commentators declaring that it was arguably the biggest upset of the tourney so far

Result: Bulgarian wins by 3 points :laugh:

And then the a Japanese cops one of the biggest rip offs in history against the world no. 2

****ing joke

social

3 fight now and 3 horrible decisions - good to see corruption in boxing is not confined to the pros

No point watching another bout I'm afraid

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watched a bout between an Australian and a Bulgarian who is a former world champ

Going into the last round, the 29 yo Bulgarian was ahead by a point but was thoroughly dominated by a raw but talented 21 yo Aussie in the final stanza with the Brit commentators declaring that it was arguably the biggest upset of the tourney so far

Result: Bulgarian wins by 3 points :laugh:

And then the a Japanese cops one of the biggest rip offs in history against the world no. 2

****ing joke
Not watched it but Neely and Woodhall generally call it correctly and are fair and not biased so if they say your lad won then he was probably robbed.

social

Fortunately, justice has been served and the Japanese decision has been overturned

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
That was a wonderful start by Ogogo against the best middleweight in the comp. The atmosphere is electric in there but he's giving it a go. He has a superb defense.

grecian

That was a wonderful start by Ogogo against the best middleweight in the comp. The atmosphere is electric in there but he's giving it a go. He has a superb defense.
He was rubbish in Big Brother though.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
The Ukrainian is powerful but he's not very dynamic. He can do this, come on.

This is so close, he might have lost this.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ohhh that was phenomenal, he just squeezed it. And Gibbons gets to the final of the judo at the same time, what a great few minutes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Vikas (India) won against Spence (USA) and gets to the QF but I think he spit out his mouth guard on purpose in the second round to buy time when he was losing that round. That's bull**** - should be penalized. Vikas just grabbed him in the third round and held him and completely went into a shell. Vikas just ran around.

Vikas also was completely gassed at the end of the fight. I thought Spence should have won - he won rounds 2 and 3. Can someone explain how the hell Vikas won that third round? I'm pissed as ****.

USA Boxing Men go home without any medals :(. The wrong guy won the fight. So ****ing unfair. The whole ****ing boxing tournament is biased against Americans - see Mayweather in the 90s.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Vikas (India) won against Spence (USA) and gets to the QF but I think he spit out his mouth guard on purpose in the second round to buy time when he was losing that round. That's bull**** - should be penalized. Vikas just grabbed him in the third round and held him and completely went into a shell. Vikas just ran around.

Vikas also was completely gassed at the end of the fight. I thought Spence should have won - he won rounds 2 and 3. Can someone explain how the hell Vikas won that third round? I'm pissed as ****.

USA Boxing Men go home without any medals :(. The wrong guy won the fight. So ****ing unfair. The whole ****ing boxing tournament is biased against Americans - see Mayweather in the 90s.

Justice prevails: London Olympics 2012 Boxing: Vikas Krishan out of Games after decision overturned by AIBA

It's odd they overturned it in this manner but importantly it was the right result. I can't imagine anyone who watched that fight and thought Vikas won it. Plus he purposefully spit out his mouth guard as I mentioned.

Right decision.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Indian contingent is upset that Sangwan's appeal wasn't held up which was a more blatant case, and now American's was against Krishan.

Though, this match (Krishan vs Spence) could have gone either way it is a bit odd that they overturned it based on second round retrospectively. As surely if Krishan had been trailing after that round and known it he would have fought differently in the last round.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No he wouldn't have. He had nothing left at the end - thats how gassed he was. In the third round, he could bately throw punches so he just started holding. Plus he spit out his gum shield on purpose. It was a pretty bad fight overall by him after the first round.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way to tell for sure though, as he was still holding his guard well while the American boxer wasn't accurate. Vikas Krishan is world number 3 after all.

Also, The boxer's are supposed to receive certain number of warnings before getting docked points. When you reach the threshold of warnings, you obviously stop doing what you are doing as you know you will get docked points. To dock points retrospectively for that though is bull****.

A Uzbek boxer and Sumit Sangwan had a lot more one sided matches than this which they somehow lost due to points and their appeals were rejected.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India have launched a counter appeal, btw now. The sports minister will also write to the IOC.

Also from now on they have decided to have more support staff in the stadium to make enough complaints to the referees straight up, like the American's did. They just used to quietly walk off earlier leaving the coach and boxer alone.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scoring system in general is messed up here. I haven't seen many other matches so I can't speak to that but even without warnings and conduct like spitting out your gum shield just to buy time, he still lost. If any scoring system says otherwise, it's the scoring system that's ****ed. But I doubt the system is that messed up - the commentators couldn't believe it and hell, the referee was shocked himself! He started raising Spence's hand before he was like 'WTF' and raised Vikas.