• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rowing thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some good stuff so far at Eton Dorney.

NZ's going brilliantly. Bond & Murray smashed the world record by six seconds in their heat. Epic. Gutted I missed that race - I was watching swimming at the time and didn't realise their race was up. But they were favourites for gold before the race; must be even more so now.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems like it's been a good morning for the Australian crews as well, most from what I've noticed have managed to automatically qualify for their Semis/Final. Have no idea if any are favourites in their respective events though

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Some good stuff so far at Eton Dorney.

NZ's going brilliantly. Bond & Murray smashed the world record by six seconds in their heat. Epic. Gutted I missed that race - I was watching swimming at the time and didn't realise their race was up. But they were favourites for gold before the race; must be even more so now.
Must be close to the warmest favs at the whole games? Reed & Triggs-Hodge effectively gave up hope of beating them and have joined the coxless four.

_Ed_

Nice to see the NZ women's quad win the B final after the really disappointing broken-oar incident a couple of days back. This race doesn't mean anything, but it was good to see them give it their all - they could easily have just gone, 'Nah, cbf.'

Medallists in Rio, IMO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Best of luck to Kim Crow, she's an absolute star; great athlete, super person and a very switched on individual.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nice to see the NZ women's quad win the B final after the really disappointing broken-oar incident a couple of days back. This race doesn't mean anything, but it was good to see them give it their all - they could easily have just gone, 'Nah, cbf.'

Medallists in Rio, IMO.
Are the finals on today? I have the archery on.

flibbertyjibber

Come on GB, first gold hopefully coming today. Glover and Stanning to win I reckon and the 8's might sneak a medal too.

_Ed_

Glover and Stanning to win I reckon
I'll be hoping not - Juliette's a family friend, so I'd really love to see her win gold for NZ today. Although any medal would be pretty cool, so I might settle for silver at a stretch.

flibbertyjibber

I'll be hoping not - Juliette's a family friend, so I'd really love to see her win gold for NZ today. Although any medal would be pretty cool, so I might settle for silver at a stretch.
Redgrave seems to think they are our best bet of the week so if he is saying that then we must have a good chance as he reckons we will win at least 3 golds. He is normally playing down our chances so to hear him be bullish makes you confident.

_Ed_

They have been awesome this year. The NZ pair beat them at last year's world champs, but it sounds like the GB pair have improved a lot since.

flibbertyjibber

Wow.

That NZ pair in the coxless pair look amazing. Brilliant performance in the semi, look certainties to win the gold.

_Ed_

Bond and Murray annihilating their semi-final opposition. Whoa.

_Ed_

Great effort by the young British pair there! Good chance of a medal in the final, and they'll be even better in Rio.

flibbertyjibber

Great effort by the young British pair there! Good chance of a medal in the final, and they'll be even better in Rio.
Wasn't expecting that, thrown together a couple of months ago and now in the Olympic final with a medal chance, impressive.

Have to say though that your NZ pair looked fantastic though. Be great to see them destroy the field in the final as it just shouldn't happen at that level.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Impressive race. Well done to them.

Bronze for Juliette! That'll do. Really proud.