• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Swimming Thread***

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha what'd he say?
"I was sooorprised but not as sooorprised as I would've been before the meeeet."

Then went into detail with great relish about how Magnusson had effed up the finish. Apparently fingers should be pointing down and not up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"I was sooorprised but not as sooorprised as I would've been before the meeeet."

Then went into detail with great relish about how Magnusson had effed up the finish. Apparently fingers should be pointing down and not up.
Yeah and basically said he had talked the talk then not walked the walk afterwards.

Burgey

Yeah and basically said he had talked the talk then not walked the walk afterwards.
Well he's right.

Ian Thorpe would break a world record by a second and a half and beat the field by about three seconds, wave to the crowd and do an interview saying how tough the event was. And he never yapped it up pre-meet.

Magnussen is only a kid tbf to him, and it's no bad thing to learn humility young.

flibbertyjibber

Well he's right.

Ian Thorpe would break a world record by a second and a half and beat the field by about three seconds, wave to the crowd and do an interview saying how tough the event was. And he never yapped it up pre-meet.

Magnussen is only a kid tbf to him, and it's no bad thing to learn humility young.
Basically Thorpe said he would go away from this meeting and will have learnt a lot. Think he was meaning the not being Billy Bigtime before you have done it. Said the best thing he can do is to get straight back in training after to get it out of system.

He almost seemed glad he hadn't done well, like he doesn't like the guys attitude, unusual for Thorpe as he seems to like everyone. Seems to be more critical of him than anyone else ever.

Burgey

Thorpey still recalls "Smash 'em like guitars" by Gary Hall Junior ahead of Sydney I think.

But still, Magnussen went faster in each of his three individual swims. Introspection is no bad thing.

Spikey

all we need is sally pearson to choke and this has been a hilarious olympics

flibbertyjibber

Thorpey still recalls "Smash 'em like guitars" by Gary Hall Junior ahead of Sydney I think.

But still, Magnussen went faster in each of his three individual swims. Introspection is no bad thing.
Yeah but the whole world recalls that as it was so obnoxious. There was so little between those squads and that comment probably gave your guys the extra oomph to win it.

Must seem a while ago looking at the current Aussie swim team, having a shocker really only getting 1 gold so far. That not a troll just an observation as you pride yourselves on the swimming where as it is a bonus if we get anything over here.

Burgey

Rob Woodhouse on the abc also saying the American fella's touch on the wall was stronger. Such small things make a huge difference apparently.

But Magnussen not winning is a bit like Cavendish with the attitude. Compare the latter's approach to that of Wiggins, who was so sporting in the Tour towards Evans. It's not always fair, everyone is different. But these are the things which effect perceptions of sports people.

flibbertyjibber

Rob Woodhouse on the abc also saying the American fella's touch on the wall was stronger. Such small things make a huge difference apparently.

But Magnussen not winning is a bit like Cavendish with the attitude. Compare the latter's approach to that of Wiggins, who was so sporting in the Tour towards Evans. It's not always fair, everyone is different. But these are the things which effect perceptions of sports people.
Think it may well be arise Sir Bradley in the new years honours. Has shown himself to be a true sporting great in the last month and does it in style on and off the bike.

Burgey

Yeah but the whole world recalls that as it was so obnoxious. There was so little between those squads and that comment probably gave your guys the extra oomph to win it.

Must seem a while ago looking at the current Aussie swim team, having a shocker really only getting 1 gold so far. That not a troll just an observation as you pride yourselves on the swimming where as it is a bonus if we get anything over here.
Well they've had I don't know how many silvers, so they're there or there abouts. We had an era of exceptional athletes, including our greatest ever Olympian. It's a hell of a standard to keep up in a sport that's now global.

Last edited:

Spikey

the wiggins thing is really much about fuss nothing. those guys stopped racing the other year just because they didn't like the course, which they thought was too hard and caused crashes. of course the race is gonna stop when a whole bunch of riders get affected by outsiders (inc wiggins himself). It's much the same as calling some guy a hero for calling 000.

Burgey

Meh. He didn't have to stop. Could've done what the Frog did.

I'm not saying it was John Landy stopping for Ron Clarke - no Pom would ever be that sporting, but it was the right thing to do.

Spikey

Yeah, because the 100 year strong culture says it is. If Wiggins hadn't stopped he would have changed the entire culture of road racing, as well as making himself public enemy #1 within the race. If it had been a case like contador-schleck 2 years back and Evans had gone down because of an error he made, the situation would have been radically different. As it is, Wiggins taking a leaf out of the armstrong book and letting loose on a reporter who asked a question wiggins would have answered candidly a couple of years back says much more than obeying the traditions of the race. and that doesn't really say much either

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well he's right.

I think the fact that Thorpe (and Phelps, and others) were so young when they broke onto the world stage that they were never going to come out with those sort of brash statements, and they set their pattern of behaviour at that age.

It's hard to see a 16/17 year old saying what Magnussen did. I don't really care that he said what he did, from memory it wasn't all that bad in itself, but I don't know why you'd make things harder for yourself in a lead up.

Supposedly he hasn't be sleeping - would love it if he gave it to Grant Hackett when he interviews him poolside about how he can't use sleeping tablets because of him.

Spikey

what do the average australian olympic swimmer and the average australian unemployed person have in common?

they're both losers funded by the tax-payer!

ok so my next joke is about rape

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, Magnussen said he hates the pool in London. He's obviously got the right attitude heading into the 50m men's freestyle :dry:

Last edited: