• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Swimming Thread***

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
not as if we put peanuts into the swim team, anyway.....
We do compared to our competitors with even GB (25 million quid) dwarfing our budget

Anyway, what we spent in the past few years is irrelevant as gold medallists are 6 - 10 years in the making

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the men have sucked for years its no surprise
Australian swimming was relatively crap for a while before Atlanta then Sydney.

We had the occasional gun like Armstrong or Sieben, but Perkins really got it going for the blokes, and had a lot of really good swimmers come through straight after. Klim, Thorpe, Hackett, Huegill. All world class.

The Tunsas have been good a while. Riley was good, O'neill, Jones, Lenton, Henry, Thomas, Rice. All cracking swimmers. Better than the blokes for the most part for a good while.

flibbertyjibber

So that Chinese swimmer is under as much focus now as the South African runner was a few years ago just because she is brilliant.

uvelocity

International Coach
Yeah I guess you're right Burgey. I've given up on swimming these last few years, the coverage of and atmosphere around it, I wouldn't call it jingoistic but its close; cringeworthy and boring for me.

Burgey

So that Chinese swimmer is under as much focus now as the South African runner was a few years ago just because she is brilliant.
Yep. When ian Thorpe of Bankstown breaks records at 16 he's a gun. When a bird from Beijing does it she's a doper.

Which ties in with Uve's point about swimming coverage here - he's right. Very jingoistic and a lot of chest thumping. Which is funny, because most all of our recent swimming champions have been very humble people.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big swim from Magnussen - no-one in the field for the final has legally gone anywhere near as quick as his sf time so he will take some stopping

Burgey

Sigh

Another silver and bronze. Appalling stuff. I hope there's a Royal Commission into this.

flibbertyjibber

Are we allowed to dream that we might get a medal tomorrow?

The breaststroke boys did brilliantly in the semis and for the one to be fastest qualifier in a new British record (broke it twice today) gives you hope. No doubt it is raising hopes for nothing and he will come 4th in the final but it nice to have some hope for a change from the men.

uvelocity

International Coach
Yep. When ian Thorpe of Bankstown breaks records at 16 he's a gun. When a bird from Beijing does it she's a doper.

Which ties in with Uve's point about swimming coverage here - he's right. Very jingoistic and a lot of chest thumping. Which is funny, because most all of our recent swimming champions have been very humble people.
I still couldn't find the right word for it. Demagoguery isn't a word I'd use in everyday conversation and not one which fits perfectly either, so I think we need a new word.