Cricket Player Manager
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 2 wheels

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    this is the best sport

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    This sport is brutal. Some of those crashes just make you wince and laugh at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    This sport is brutal. Some of those crashes just make you wince and laugh at the same time.
    Yep. It's like one big post-watershed episode of You've Been Framed.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Awesome to see a whole bunch of NZ rowers and cyclists in the stands for the BMX finals.

WTF?

Complete carnage

No wonder my 6yo loves it

Yesss, Walker sneaks into the free-for-all medal race. Fingers crossed.

Silver! Awesome.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Despite my cynicism, I decided to give this a look, and I have to say it is hugely flawed in its current format:

1) It must be dreadful for the crowd. A 2 hour race schedule that involves 5 minutes of actual racing and in-between nothing but non-stop cheese-dick sports announcements and bad music.

2) The risk of crashes only makes things worse. I suppose this is present to some degree in all cycling events, but here it's exacerbated, as you could have 2/3rds of the field taken out by one mistake.

3) Even when crash-free, the races are a complete lottery, so to have the medals decided in one-off race means that the entire thing is essentially random, something that even the commentators freely admitted.

4) I'm not sure whether this was just due to the design of the race course, but you may as well have stopped the races after the first corner, as barring a crash the first three through almost invariably went on to claim 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

It was kinda fun, in that daft olympic sort of way though, so maybe I was too harsh on it before (totally not saying this because we won a medal ). But the competition needs to be seriously revamped if it's to be fairer in future. Maybe change it so that the final 8 have a match play competition for the medals rather than having all 8 racers on the track at once.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 10-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Despite my cynicism, I decided to give this a look, and I have to say it is hugely flawed in its current format:

1) It must be dreadful for the crowd. A 2 hour race schedule that involves 5 minutes of actual racing and in-between nothing but non-stop cheese-dick sports announcements and bad music.

2) The risk of crashes only makes things worse. I suppose this is present to some degree in all cycling events, but here it's exacerbated, as you could have 2/3rds of the field taken out by one mistake.

3) Even when crash-free, the races are a complete lottery, so to have the medals decided in one-off race means that the entire thing is essentially random, something that even the commentators freely admitted.

4) I'm not sure whether this was just due to the design of the race course, but you may as well have stopped the races after the first corner, as barring a crash the first three through almost invariably went on to claim 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

It was kinda fun, in that daft olympic sort of way though, so maybe I was too harsh on it before (totally not saying this because we won a medal ). But the competition needs to be seriously revamped if it's to be fairer in future. Maybe change it so that the final 8 have a match play competition for the medals rather than having all 8 racers on the track at once.
    Aside from the final being a lottery, I thought it was great - like Nascar compared to F1 and will bring a whole heap of new fans to cycling

Just hope that the cycling authorities dont try to replace it with something stupid like synchronised, rhythmic keiran to get the focus back on the track

While I agree with most of your points, I'm not totally sure about it being a lottery - the gold medallist in the women's won all her semis as well, so there's some consistency in the results.

I know **** all about this sport, but I thought Walker's strategy was really good - take it easy and cautiously in the semis, keeping plenty in reserve to ride an epic race in the final, which she did.

I thought it was awesome. Point 1 is unusual, you look at an archery competition and its probably just a couple of minutes of action in the day too. Point 2 makes the sports fun too.

I liked the format but if there was a change, perhaps instead of a matchplay situation, I would like to see the field dwindled down even 2 at a time, so it's 8 then 6 and then a race of 4 for the medals.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    How awesome is the mountain race?

Also the BMX stuff was great, with the exception of the finals being one race, made zero sense.
    Last edited by NasserFan207; 11-08-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Dominant win by the French rider here. Impressive.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information