• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official Hockey Discussion Thread****

Chubb

International Regular
Difficult to see Australia losing the men's, but they can be beaten. I hope the Black Sticks get a medal in either comp, and I think Belgium men could surprise - they are a handy side with some talented players who are easy to underestimate. It is hard for Great Britain because they only come together once every four years, one of the reasons why the 1988 gold medal was so special.

I said in the other thread I think hockey is incredibly underrated as a sport. I never played before I came to NZ - it's a game for private schoolboys in Britain - but I love it. I play as a right winger, I'm quick (despite my username) but it is hard to build up stick skills when you start at 23!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I played left half when I played. Have **** stick skills (surprisingly difficult sport to master the skills) but am ok on the tackle and can read the play ok because it's a bit like defending in Aussie Rules so I'm better suited down back. Played my first game as a winger and **** me it was hard. Had no idea where to run to get the ball.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, love hockey. So much fun to play. Agree re. skills too - think the first few years of playing are so crucial to getting a good technique. I started when I was 12, and have always felt that that put me behind a lot of players who started earlier.

Anyway, Australia odds-on to get gold - they're just a slight level above everyone else at the moment. Germany and Netherlands probably most likely for Silver/Bronze, with NZ, GB, Spain, Korea a slight step below them. Haven't seen a lot of India & Pakistan recently but I think they're slightly off the pace these days. Anyone can surprise though, it's a very competitive sport and there's not a lot between the teams ranked 4-12.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Difficult to see Australia losing the men's, but they can be beaten. I hope the Black Sticks get a medal in either comp, and I think Belgium men could surprise - they are a handy side with some talented players who are easy to underestimate. It is hard for Great Britain because they only come together once every four years, one of the reasons why the 1988 gold medal was so special.

I said in the other thread I think hockey is incredibly underrated as a sport. I never played before I came to NZ - it's a game for private schoolboys in Britain - but I love it. I play as a right winger, I'm quick (despite my username) but it is hard to build up stick skills when you start at 23!
If by "private schoolboys" you mean girls, then yes, yes it is.

Should really try to ape its ice-based cousin more, tbh.

benchmark00

Field hockey is a pretty brutal sport itbt. Saw a guy get a fractured skull when he got a stick to the head and I broke two fingers and needed stitches after I did an incorrect tackle and got wrapped around the digits.

Ice hockey the superior of the hockeys though tbf.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Must be frightening running out of the goals for a penalty corner, knowing the ball is about to be whacked straight at you. Got lots of respect for hockey players.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must be frightening running out of the goals for a penalty corner, knowing the ball is about to be whacked straight at you. Got lots of respect for hockey players.
Yeah awta, not something I'd ever like to have to do.

Remember a kid at school getting wacked in the eye with a stick during a game (was by his best mate as well, just a tackle that went wrong), was a bit of a drama.

benchmark00

Running out isn't as bad as having to stay on the line. When you run out it's unlikely you'll cop it in the face, maybe just the body. On the line you're just cannon fodder though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Injury concerns don't help India at all. Without injuries, we might've fought for a top 6 spot - but now it looks like we'll be somewhere in 7-12.

I'll support Pakistan once India is out of the comp. They are the dark horses IMO.

Australia, Germany, Netherlands are front-runners for podium finish.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Watching Australia v New Zealand women. Slightly scrappy contest with New Zealand having the edge.

Not the best sport to watch on TV. Early morning sun on a blue pitch makes the ball hard to follow.

flibbertyjibber

Watching Australia v New Zealand women. Slightly scrappy contest with New Zealand having the edge.

Not the best sport to watch on TV. Early morning sun on a blue pitch makes the ball hard to follow.
The blue pitch was specifically to make it easier to follow the ball. Not worked then (I watching the Denmark v India archery at present)

_Ed_

It's great when the sun goes behind a cloud - much sharper than I remember it being on a green pitch. But, yeah, it's harder in bright sunlight. There's a bit of glare.

Goalies on both sides having a good game by the look of it. Could easily have been many more goals.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
The blue pitch was specifically to make it easier to follow the ball. Not worked then (I watching the Denmark v India archery at present)
I was going to ask why the field was blue.

Hey, they have UDRS too. Will India object to it in this sport as well?:ph34r:

Great to see us in the lead.

Burgey

God the Hockeyroos are a shadow of their former selves. Great effort by NZ here though.