Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Beckham

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Shame, would really have liked to have seen him there. But if his inclusion would have been only for sentimental reasons, then his omission has to be the right way to go. Would have been a great way for him to cap off his career though, and I don't imagine many players out there would have had more pride in being selected than he would.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Could understand it more if 2 of the 3 overage picks weren't Giggs and Bellamy.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Could understand it more if 2 of the 3 overage picks weren't Giggs and Bellamy.
    More of an issue with Richards, myself. Basically told Woy to shove it when he was named in the stand-by squad, didn't he?
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Well I can understand getting some defensive experience in there (although Richards did act like a tool agreed)

It's the selection of someone who's definitely on the wane (and has done absolutely nothing towards the whole Olympics thing) and someone who can't play 2 games in a week that do puzzle me.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Well I can understand getting some defensive experience in there (although Richards did act like a tool agreed)

It's the selection of someone who's definitely on the wane (and has done absolutely nothing towards the whole Olympics thing) and someone who can't play 2 games in a week that do puzzle me.
    Hmm, do you think that should matter?

Also, have you watched Beckham play lately? Does he look up to much?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I expected them to pick him for purely commercial reasons tbh

The fact that they haven't is a tad disappointing in some ways, but we reap what we sow in this life - the **** should never have got himself sent off against Argentina back in '98

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    More of an issue with Richards, myself. Basically told Woy to shove it when he was named in the stand-by squad, didn't he?
    I heard that once he was named as stand=by he decided he'd rather play the Olympics, was sceptical at the time but here he is...

I haven't seen Beckham playing recently but I read he was playing well when Pearce went to see him.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Pearce has a bit of a hard on for Richards as well doesn't he, wouldn't be surprised if he had a word in his ear when the Euro squad was announced.

Plenty of people were surprised he wasn't name in the squad for the EUROs as well, be interesting if he plays full back or centre back
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Well it's nice to see Bellamy's years of sterling behaviour on-and-off-the field being rewarded.....
    Last edited by grecian; 29-06-2012 at 06:15 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Well it's nice to see Bellamy's years of sterling behaviour in-and-off-the field being rewarded.....
    Having him in the squad is a good enough reason to support whoever is playing against GB.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Seems to be provoking a lot of objection from people who haven't seen Beckham play for about five years.

Regarless of whether I'd have seen him play in the last few years or not, I've got to say my interest in Olympic football has now dwindled to near non-existant levels. I've always been a fan of Beckham, and I'd have enjoyed seeing him turn out for team GB, and would have made a concious effort to tune in and watch a few games.

However, now that he's not going to be there I doubt I'll be able to raise enough interest to bother to watch the matches. Olympic football has always struck me as a fairly lightweight contest, and I don't really consider it to be a true Olympic sport in any case. When you consider the fact that the Euros will have been of a higher standard, higher prestige and higher interest, I don't imagine there will be many people clamouring to watch team GB roll out against various adversaries. I daresay I'll watch a game if I happen to be in with nothing else to do, but I doubt I will otherwise.

I'm not saying this to criticise the decision not to pick him, but it goes some way to explaining my own personal disappointment about the whole thing.

I'll probably watch it TBH, would rather not see bellamy, but will fun to see how the youngsters go, after the general direness of our football recently, we may play with some verve, which would make a ****ing change.

Not really bothered by Becks either way, but again I'd rather have him than CB.
    Last edited by grecian; 29-06-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Seems to be provoking a lot of objection from people who haven't seen Beckham play for about five years.
    Reckon the last game I watched him in would have been around 2010 for Milan, that season anyway.

My main emotion is 'surprise' and also because of the lack of prestige of the Olympics I would have liked to have seen Beckham have a run-out. When it comes to 'footballing reasons' I don't really have an opinion though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information