• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Beckham

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Shame, would really have liked to have seen him there. But if his inclusion would have been only for sentimental reasons, then his omission has to be the right way to go. Would have been a great way for him to cap off his career though, and I don't imagine many players out there would have had more pride in being selected than he would.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well I can understand getting some defensive experience in there (although Richards did act like a tool agreed)

It's the selection of someone who's definitely on the wane (and has done absolutely nothing towards the whole Olympics thing) and someone who can't play 2 games in a week that do puzzle me.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I can understand getting some defensive experience in there (although Richards did act like a tool agreed)

It's the selection of someone who's definitely on the wane (and has done absolutely nothing towards the whole Olympics thing) and someone who can't play 2 games in a week that do puzzle me.
Hmm, do you think that should matter?

Also, have you watched Beckham play lately? Does he look up to much?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I expected them to pick him for purely commercial reasons tbh

The fact that they haven't is a tad disappointing in some ways, but we reap what we sow in this life - the **** should never have got himself sent off against Argentina back in '98

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
More of an issue with Richards, myself. Basically told Woy to shove it when he was named in the stand-by squad, didn't he?
I heard that once he was named as stand=by he decided he'd rather play the Olympics, was sceptical at the time but here he is...

I haven't seen Beckham playing recently but I read he was playing well when Pearce went to see him.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pearce has a bit of a hard on for Richards as well doesn't he, wouldn't be surprised if he had a word in his ear when the Euro squad was announced.

Plenty of people were surprised he wasn't name in the squad for the EUROs as well, be interesting if he plays full back or centre back

grecian

Well it's nice to see Bellamy's years of sterling behaviour on-and-off-the field being rewarded.....

Last edited:

Uppercut

Seems to be provoking a lot of objection from people who haven't seen Beckham play for about five years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Regarless of whether I'd have seen him play in the last few years or not, I've got to say my interest in Olympic football has now dwindled to near non-existant levels. I've always been a fan of Beckham, and I'd have enjoyed seeing him turn out for team GB, and would have made a concious effort to tune in and watch a few games.

However, now that he's not going to be there I doubt I'll be able to raise enough interest to bother to watch the matches. Olympic football has always struck me as a fairly lightweight contest, and I don't really consider it to be a true Olympic sport in any case. When you consider the fact that the Euros will have been of a higher standard, higher prestige and higher interest, I don't imagine there will be many people clamouring to watch team GB roll out against various adversaries. I daresay I'll watch a game if I happen to be in with nothing else to do, but I doubt I will otherwise.

I'm not saying this to criticise the decision not to pick him, but it goes some way to explaining my own personal disappointment about the whole thing.

grecian

I'll probably watch it TBH, would rather not see bellamy, but will fun to see how the youngsters go, after the general direness of our football recently, we may play with some verve, which would make a ****ing change.

Not really bothered by Becks either way, but again I'd rather have him than CB.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Seems to be provoking a lot of objection from people who haven't seen Beckham play for about five years.
Reckon the last game I watched him in would have been around 2010 for Milan, that season anyway.

My main emotion is 'surprise' and also because of the lack of prestige of the Olympics I would have liked to have seen Beckham have a run-out. When it comes to 'footballing reasons' I don't really have an opinion though.

Uppercut

Yeah, same. But then the idea of him playing for England this summer was barely even mentioned, whereas almost everyone thought Richards should have been in the team. I know that's simplistic, but it still feels a bit like something doesn't add up.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
I can understand him not being picked. Not sure on Giggs playing though. While Giggs is still a good player I am not sure he (which may well be the case with Beckham too) has the fitness to cope with playing in a tournament.

From a Scottish point of view it would have been interesting to see if Darren Fletcher may have got a nod over the likes of Giggs, if he had been fit.

Think it is a shame for Becks though given his hard work getting the Olympics over and his generally ambassadorial work that he has done. Although it is fair that it didn't purely get him selected.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No Scottish players and no Gareth Bale is meaning this Olympics squad is looking more and more like an England B team.

Uppercut

No one Norn Irish either. I thought Evans might get a go but he's not really a Pearce type player. The anti-Richards- small, weak, good technique on the ball, manager loves him but fans think he's ****e.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No Scottish players and no Gareth Bale is meaning this Olympics squad is looking more and more like an England B team.
Dunno. We know Giggs and Bellamy are going to be there, plus Rambo must have a sporting chance too.

We do we actually find out the final 18, btw? Getting peed off with this Chinese Whispers via social networking media bollox.