• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** The Olympics is **** Thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not really sure where else to stick this:

Hi everyone, I got a spare ticket for the men's 100m final going at 6,400 pounds if anyone is interested!?
This was just posted on the Facebook page for my Uni Course....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
T'would seem so. What surprises me though is why someone would think students of all people would have that kind of cash to throw around.

In any case, £6,400 seems a lot to spend on something that'll be over within 10 seconds.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
T'would seem so. What surprises me though is why someone would think students of all people would have that kind of cash to throw around.

In any case, £6,400 seems a lot to spend on something that'll be over within 10 seconds.
Tempted to make a joke about an high-class ******, but I'm better than that surely?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Secondly, how is it that much different to South Africa manipulating the run rate against New Zealand back in 2001 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) to ensure Australia missed out on playing in the final in the Australia tri-series?
Actually it was NZ who tried to manipulate the result to ensure South Africa scored a bonus point for a large win. I think this case is slightly different since the badminton players intended to lose from the outset whereas New Zealand initially tried to win and only gave up when victory was no longer possible. Also its different since NZ did that to improve their chances of qualifying (rather than how you put it as attempting to eliminate Australia).

I think a better example is Somerset in a limited overs match in the late 1970s, when they declared their innings after an over and lost, since the run rate formula used for such an outcome ensured they qualified. Still a little different to the badminton since their actions were again to improve their chances of qualification rather than manipulate the draw having already qualified, but maybe a more obvious tactic of deliberately losing. Link for an interesting story: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/405598.html

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Aus did the same in the 99 WC.

It's a nothing thing unless it turns out they got paid by bookmakers or the like to do it
Actually perhaps the 99 World Cup example is the closest I can think of to the badminton players. Rationale behind Australia's decision to slowly chase the WI total was to increase their chances of taking points against WI into the Super 6s, so rather similar in terms of manipulating round robin results to gain more favourable draws later in the tournament. Would've been a tremendously controversial call if Australia had suffered any penalty for that though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, despicable really. Hadn't actually seen it properly until the link Daemon posted, it's even more pathetic than I imagined it to be.

Suspect there's some truth in what Beevs said above though (i.e. they probably had pressure put on them from above to throw the match).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The great thing about the badminton fiasco is it gave the Aussie girls a chance to bow out twice.

uvelocity

International Coach
haha they really concentrated and got ready for those **** serves didn't they. You think they could **** up a bit quicker. Jonathon Trott school of serving into the net

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia doing so badly is the highlight of the Olympics for me. I know we have the rivalry but thought it might be a bit more difficult to beat them in the medals table.