• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** The Olympics is **** Thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What about swimmers that don't swim their fastest in the heats?
I don't entirely agree with social (I do think it was a bit poor), but this is a rubbish comparison. It's done to conserve energy, not to try and manipulate who they may or may not have to compete against further on in the event.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't entirely agree with social (I do think it was a bit poor), but this is a rubbish comparison. It's done to conserve energy, not to try and manipulate who they may or may not have to compete against further on in the event.
Both are done to give themselves the best chance of winning gold.

Spark

Global Moderator
Still fundamentally the same, isn't it? Perform below your absolute best to put yourself in a better position later on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Break it down though. We are saying they robbed the public because they didn't try their hardest to win.

What is the difference?

Are you going to throw a swimmer in jail because they swam 1.5 seconds slower in the heat, didn't come anywhere close to their fastest time, but just did the minimum to qualify to give themselves an advantage over their competitors?

Your claim that its a rubbish comparison is overstating it. Its far from rubbish, and I guarantee you its an argument that would be used if they were thrown in front of a judge (which is the suggestion that is actually rubbish in this thread)

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Still fundamentally the same, isn't it? Perform below your absolute best to put yourself in a better position later on.
Well, the swimmers were still technically "swimming" if you get my drift. I would of been embarassed to see Badminton played like that by a bunch of kids.

Johnners

To me, the main point of difference is the fact that the swimmers aren't deliberately trying to lose. I realise they are fundamentally the same tactic, but this doesn't mean what they badminton players did is any less disappointing/poor.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Back to the topic of the thread.

One of the major reasons why the Olympics is **** is that Rebecca Wilson is there.

social

Break it down though. We are saying they robbed the public because they didn't try their hardest to win.

What is the difference?

Are you going to throw a swimmer in jail because they swam 1.5 seconds slower in the heat, didn't come anywhere close to their fastest time, but just did the minimum to qualify to give themselves an advantage over their competitors?

Your claim that its a rubbish comparison is overstating it. Its far from rubbish, and I guarantee you its an argument that would be used if they were thrown in front of a judge (which is the suggestion that is actually rubbish in this thread)
The teams were trying to fix the match to ensure that 2 teams from the same country didnt play each other before the medal rounds - that's a bit more serious than conserving energy

In the process they have ripped off spectators, television viewers, broadcasters and degraded the sport to an extent that no-one will know whether the medalists are truly deserving

What's more, they receive prize money (or the equivalent) for medals "won"

**** em - at the very least, they should be disqualified and if I were a Pakistani, I'd be saying "what's the difference?"

social

Addendum to the previous convo: all 8 have been thrown out by the IOC.
Well done IOC

Fully expect the toys to be thrown out of the Chinese pram and it will be interesting to see whether the decision stands

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. If they've told bookmakers or w/ever that changes it. as it is, i can't support the call.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah its fixing matches, there's no other way of putting it. They are not swimming below their full capacity to conserve energy like a swimmer, they are deliberately losing a match to affect their draw, which is totally unacceptable in sport. In swimming heats its all about times, positioning is nothing, so going for a certain time is the ultimate goal. Constantly hitting the net and rallies that don't last more than 4 strokes in an entire match is so detrimental to the sport.

I'm glad the committee had the balls to disqualify them.

Scaly piscine

Nah its fixing matches, there's no other way of putting it. They are not swimming below their full capacity to conserve energy like a swimmer, they are deliberately losing a match to affect their draw, which is totally unacceptable in sport. In swimming heats its all about times, positioning is nothing, so going for a certain time is the ultimate goal. Constantly hitting the net and rallies that don't last more than 4 strokes in an entire match is so detrimental to the sport.

I'm glad the committee had the balls to disqualify them.
Yep.

You can question the format, but ultimately you can't expect to play to lose and get away with it. I feel a bit sorry for the players because they may well have been forced into throwing the match.