Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** The Olympics is **** Thread

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Nah it's pretty reflective of the Australian culture - laugh at people for failing. Should be disappointed and shattered when these people don't succeed, not take delight and be smug when it happens. England do that ****, not Australia.

I think Lleyton Hewitt is a **** of the highest order, but I was cheering the **** on like noone else in the tennis and would've loved for him to get a gold somewhere along the way.
    I agree with your overall point, but you can go **** yourself if you think I am going to cheer on a **** like Nick D'Arcy just because he happens to have been born and raised within Australia's borders. There is a line, and Hewitt early on in his career and people like Nick D'Arcy are too big a dicks for me to support simply because they have the same passport as me.

However as I said above I agree with your overall point, there is a massive tall poppy syndrome in this country. That has been made pretty obvious over the last few weeks for sure. Magnussen got what he deserved for being an arrogant ****, but the way people had a go at him for "only" getting silver was crazy.

I disagree strongly with your "England do that, not Australia" though. We do that, but only to our athletes who big themselves up and get ahead of themselves, such as a Magnussen. I'd like to think Australian culture absolutely despises arrogance such as Magnussen. Whereas Pearson is loved for being a genuine good chick.
    Last edited by Jono; 06-08-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Seem to remember some Pakistanis being sent to jail for bowling a couple of no-balls and in the process defrauding the public etc

As this is far worse, it will be interesting to see how long the Chinese and Koreans spend in the big house
    It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse

The Pakistanis bowled a few no-balls for cash

There is no evidence that they tried to alter the course of an innings let alone match or series

These guys have not only tried to fix matches but also alter the course of an entire competition

They have ripped off the public and stand to benefit financially from it

Given the precedent, they should, at the very least, be subject to a criminal investigation

It wont happen but that's simply because the IOC is inherently corrupt and the British Gov"t wont risk an international incident
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnners View Post
    I don't entirely agree with social (I do think it was a bit poor), but this is a rubbish comparison. It's done to conserve energy, not to try and manipulate who they may or may not have to compete against further on in the event.
    To me, the main point of difference is the fact that the swimmers aren't deliberately trying to lose. I realise they are fundamentally the same tactic, but this doesn't mean what they badminton players did is any less disappointing/poor.
    The teams were trying to fix the match to ensure that 2 teams from the same country didnt play each other before the medal rounds - that's a bit more serious than conserving energy

In the process they have ripped off spectators, television viewers, broadcasters and degraded the sport to an extent that no-one will know whether the medalists are truly deserving

What's more, they receive prize money (or the equivalent) for medals "won"

**** em - at the very least, they should be disqualified and if I were a Pakistani, I'd be saying "what's the difference?"
    Tanking questions rear their head again as Spain avoid star US team after giving up 10-point lead

Disqualify Spain?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    One of the things which annoys me generally is when people point to sportspeople, be they Olympians or footy players or cricketers and say "Aren't they stupid? They seem really dumb etc etc".

They're doing what they're good at. Not everyone can excel at academia, or at sport. To do both is pretty rare indeed. Those who pour **** on a footballer/ runner/ swimmer because they give a crap interview and sound "dumb" are no different to a high school jock who picks on a nerdy kid because they're physically weaker.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

really want to write then there's x, who got neither brains nor physical ability. But can't decide who to pick on.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Thanks for letting us know the thought process of your jokes uvelocity.

yeah solid post Jono...the one at the the top of the page, that is. The one above was nothing to write home about frankly.

It would be odd for you to write to your home with the subject matter being one of my posts, itbt.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    A 1500m runner got kicked out because he was entered into the 800m but decided that was a waste of time, but didn't get left out of the race, so just jogged the 800m. way way overboard

could be back in it tho

Ha ha

Should we pour 500 million bucks straight down the ****ter in the form of a couple of holes in the ground that no-one can account for OR spend it on sporting facilities/athletes

You obviously have a very lose definition of infrastructure
    If public transportation or a great big data network underground isn't infrastructure, I don't know what is.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Thanks for letting us know the thought process of your jokes uvelocity.
    ****, knew I should have gone jono.

Harsh, genuine question. Hitting the shuttlecock into the net may be more blatant than resting your two best players in the last quarter, but surely it raises the same issue as to fans being robbed? Just on a different scale.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    A 1500m runner got kicked out because he was entered into the 800m but decided that was a waste of time, but didn't get left out of the race, so just jogged the 800m. way way overboard

could be back in it tho

If public transportation or a great big data network underground isn't infrastructure, I don't know what is.
    The gold medal for white elephant "infrastructure" projects is the Adelaide to Darwin Ghan railway. FMD, a railway linking two places no bastard wants to go to. I'm not even sure it's proven that useful in terms of freight movements, though that might well change if the Olympic Dam mine gets up and running properly.

The Parramatta-Epping line a close-run silver.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i'm sorry i don't know what 'epping' is

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I agree with your overall point, but you can go **** yourself if you think I am going to cheer on a **** like Nick D'Arcy just because he happens to have been born and raised within Australia's borders. There is a line, and Hewitt early on in his career and people like Nick D'Arcy are too big a dicks for me to support simply because they have the same passport as me.

However as I said above I agree with your overall point, there is a massive tall poppy syndrome in this country. That has been made pretty obvious over the last few weeks for sure. Magnussen got what he deserved for being an arrogant ****, but the way people had a go at him for "only" getting silver was crazy.

I disagree strongly with your "England do that, not Australia" though. We do that, but only to our athletes who big themselves up and get ahead of themselves, such as a Magnussen. I'd like to think Australian culture absolutely despises arrogance such as Magnussen. Whereas Pearson is loved for being a genuine good chick.
    Have to agree. I have a great tribal loyalty to England & Great Britain, but some sportsmen are such ****s that it outweighs any patriotic instincts.

Obvious example is the odious former British tennis player Buster Mottram, who was actually a member of the far-right, crypto-fascist National Front. As you say, just because we both hold British passports seems too small a reason to cheer the ****.

&, conversely, some athletes are such good eggs it cuts across national boundaries. I don't know anyone who has a bad word to say about Rahul Dravid for example. Champion sportsman and champion bloke too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    One of the things which annoys me generally is when people point to sportspeople, be they Olympians or footy players or cricketers and say "Aren't they stupid? They seem really dumb etc etc".

They're doing what they're good at. Not everyone can excel at academia, or at sport. To do both is pretty rare indeed. Those who pour **** on a footballer/ runner/ swimmer because they give a crap interview and sound "dumb" are no different to a high school jock who picks on a nerdy kid because they're physically weaker.
    Leave those poor jocks alone, they can't cope with being called dumb by some **** behind a screen.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information