• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** The Olympics is **** Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Harsh, genuine question. Hitting the shuttlecock into the net may be more blatant than resting your two best players in the last quarter, but surely it raises the same issue as to fans being robbed? Just on a different scale.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A 1500m runner got kicked out because he was entered into the 800m but decided that was a waste of time, but didn't get left out of the race, so just jogged the 800m. way way overboard

could be back in it tho

If public transportation or a great big data network underground isn't infrastructure, I don't know what is.
The gold medal for white elephant "infrastructure" projects is the Adelaide to Darwin Ghan railway. FMD, a railway linking two places no bastard wants to go to. I'm not even sure it's proven that useful in terms of freight movements, though that might well change if the Olympic Dam mine gets up and running properly.

The Parramatta-Epping line a close-run silver.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I agree with your overall point, but you can go **** yourself if you think I am going to cheer on a **** like Nick D'Arcy just because he happens to have been born and raised within Australia's borders. There is a line, and Hewitt early on in his career and people like Nick D'Arcy are too big a dicks for me to support simply because they have the same passport as me.

However as I said above I agree with your overall point, there is a massive tall poppy syndrome in this country. That has been made pretty obvious over the last few weeks for sure. Magnussen got what he deserved for being an arrogant ****, but the way people had a go at him for "only" getting silver was crazy.

I disagree strongly with your "England do that, not Australia" though. We do that, but only to our athletes who big themselves up and get ahead of themselves, such as a Magnussen. I'd like to think Australian culture absolutely despises arrogance such as Magnussen. Whereas Pearson is loved for being a genuine good chick.
Have to agree. I have a great tribal loyalty to England & Great Britain, but some sportsmen are such ****s that it outweighs any patriotic instincts.

Obvious example is the odious former British tennis player Buster Mottram, who was actually a member of the far-right, crypto-fascist National Front. As you say, just because we both hold British passports seems too small a reason to cheer the ****.

&, conversely, some athletes are such good eggs it cuts across national boundaries. I don't know anyone who has a bad word to say about Rahul Dravid for example. Champion sportsman and champion bloke too.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
One of the things which annoys me generally is when people point to sportspeople, be they Olympians or footy players or cricketers and say "Aren't they stupid? They seem really dumb etc etc".

They're doing what they're good at. Not everyone can excel at academia, or at sport. To do both is pretty rare indeed. Those who pour **** on a footballer/ runner/ swimmer because they give a crap interview and sound "dumb" are no different to a high school jock who picks on a nerdy kid because they're physically weaker.
Leave those poor jocks alone, they can't cope with being called dumb by some **** behind a screen.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah bolt's in I thought? would be a PR dream to have them both. head to head or in tandem (give the stars a special dispensation) who cares would be tops.

could have a race at half time with some people from the crowd and give em 50m headstart

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hahaha his heat run was ridiculous. Slow mo shows he's just strolling, looking around, yet the 2 blokes to the left of him are pumping legs 'n arms like there's no tomorrow and making absolutely no progress.

uvelocity

International Coach
what Bolt's actually confirmed for the BBL? no way!?
well it might be getting ahead of things, don't know of any contract but

Blake said in the wake of his Olympic silver medal that he might join Bolt in Australia.

"Yeah, he wants to come to Australia to play cricket with Ricky Ponting and those guys. My vacation is different. I don't know what I am going to do, but I will probably come with him. I am a big fan (of Australian cricket). I think he wants to watch the cricket and footy too."

uvelocity

International Coach
haha I didn't know that.

But I think this is a bit different, he can be comparatively **** at cricket and play an early round to generate interest whereas man u couldn't risk it/ don't need it as much. there would be will from cricket aus and the team to make it happen

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If public transportation or a great big data network underground isn't infrastructure, I don't know what is.
Dont think anyone could define the NSW rail thingy as infrastructure - literally an abandoned money pit that started life as an unneeded vote catcher

Anyway the point is that governments waste huge amounts of money every day (e.g. NBN costs blow out by billions) and any addititional funding for sports would literally be a drop in the ocean that the country can easily afford